Sign in to follow this  

race gas?

i just bought my 1st f-stroke. 05 crf250r.only riden it about 2 hours and loving it.was riding a 03 cr250.i have a couple of questions. 1.i read in a magazine not to run race fuel in a f-stroke.but when im racing cross country(tccra)i smell some pretty wierd stuff coming out of f-strokes.any ideas on what i should run? i heard something about ultra 4??? 2.i here yhat i need to change the oil often on this bike.im so parinoid about the valve issues ive changed it 3 times so far on 2 hours of easy riding.any one know a good schedule? im a ameture rider not fast not hard on the bike.also my dealer told me to check the oil level even when im riding it.is it safe to go ride a 2 hour cross country race?kinda scarey to hear at dealership.

Alot of people use race gas in 4 strokes, I use it in my DRZ. Runs smoother and cleaner. Changed the oil 3 times in 2 hours of riding? Man, you are worried! I don't know for your bike but I'd think once every 4-5 hours of riding should be plenty. As for checking your oil frequently, some 250Fs have had issues with using/leaking oil. It won't take long to determine if yours is one of them. If you're in a 2 hour race check it when you stop for gas.

That probably wasn't a bad idea. Got good oil in it at least.

I've used the VP ulimte 4 fuel in my crf450. The stuff smells funky but it works great!! I am hooked on it although its pretty expensive. But right from the start you will notice a much crisper, faster rev. On the track you should feel it pull alittle harder too. This fuel is strickly for four strokes and its awesome! Good luck if you ever try it! 😢

I love race gas when I used it, you know what your getting and a lot easer to tune by. Any fast racer that wants and uses all the power his bike has would be crazy not to use race gas. You better see your banker first, are win a lot of races that pay cash. Trophy's don't cut it.

I was shocked at the difference race gas make on my Turbo street bike when I only put one gallon of VP in it to get to the gas station. The bike was set up for low boost with pump gas, I knew it would help some, but shocked at how much with out the Turbo coming in.

You do not want to run High Octane Race Gas. I run VP Ultimate 4. It is the absolute best gas for 4 strokes, you will notice an immidiate difference. VP Ultimate 4 is only 92 Octane, but it is oxygenated and gives almost 2 HP, it is also expensive. Do not let Ultimate 4 sit in your carbuerator, simply turn your gas off and run the bike out of gas, it will gum up your carberauter if you let it sit, that is the only downfall to it. Whatever you do don't run high Octane race gases. visit www.vpracingfuels.com for more info

Try aviation fuel, it is less than $3 gallon. We have performed side by side tests of race gas to Aviation fuel and everyone agreed the bikes ran the same on av gas as race gas. Any smaller local airport will let you drive up to the pumps, self service with your credit or debit card.

2.i here yhat i need to change the oil often on this bike.im so parinoid about the valve issues ive changed it 3 times so far on 2 hours of easy riding.any one know a good schedule?

Change your oil every 5 hours and check your valves at 5 hours, then every 10 hours after.

Too frequent oil changes only waste money, no added protection.

Change your valve springs at 100 hours, it is the spring that is the problem. They fatigue, lose tension, then your valve floats and BAM! hits the piston. 😢

Sure!, racing fuel is a good thing, BUT!, not what your bike was built or tuned for, (from the factory). There is definatley performance to be had from raceing fuels, but only if your bike is jetted to run race fuel. As far as valves go you should use a lead addative and of course keep an eye on clearences. 😢

I use VP red mixed with pump gas at ratio of about 5 parts 76 premium pump gas to 1 part VP red. The only reason why I throw in the little bit of red in is because it's leaded, and my hopes are the lead is creating a bit of a "cushion" between the valves and the valve seats. I'm not sure if this is due to my fuel choice or Yamahas awsome head, but after probably about 75 hours on the motor my valves are still right in the middle of spec. Oh yeah, and I like the way it smells too!

Try aviation fuel, it is less than $3 gallon. We have performed side by side tests of race gas to Aviation fuel and everyone agreed the bikes ran the same on av gas as race gas. Any smaller local airport will let you drive up to the pumps, self service with your credit or debit card.

You COULD BE right on some stock vary low compression dirt bike. But you could not pay me to run Av gas, been there, done that, and rebuild motors for people who ran nothing but.

woot another TCCRA member! I don't run race gas in mine due to the price but I use 93 octane pump gas and it seems to work better than regular. I'm curious what class do you plan on riding in next season. I'm afraid my class is going to blow up next season with all these new thumpers being sold. Oh well more people for me to pass 😢 *cough cough* my placing this year does not indicate my riding ablity 😢

hey tex i plan on riding the same x6 class which is over 30 ameture.i rode pretty much in the back of the pack last season so no need to move up.i was on a 03 cr250.two weeks ago i got my first f-stroke a 05 crf250r.such a fun bike to ride.only got to ride twice so far at village creek and alvarado and can already tell im riding better,faster and more confident on it.hopfully next season i can start passing more people in my class and less getting passed.