Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF-A Yamaha rider's opinion

Well I rode a buddies 05 CRF450 yesterday. Nice bike. Best handling 450 I've ever ridden. The motor is real abrupt though and sort of disappointing. The bike felt like they took my 03 YZF motor and stuffed it in a CRF250 frame. It was so far from smooth it wasnt even funny. I'm not much of a low end lugger. I like to rev the bike more through the mid to top and carry my speed through corners. But the lowend being what it is made it hard to do that. It came on very quick would break the rear wheel loose. I think if you put an FMF pipe on it would smoothen it out more. On the 04 it was abrubt stock as well, not as bad as the 05, but perfect with with the Factory 4 system. Also it has a tendancy to stall. The motor for me is a big problem. It would make a great SX bike though. I guess all you guys who think you need 55-60 hp would like the bike but I think the motor needs to be tamed a bit. The best part of the motor is the lack of engine braking. It was very 2-stroke like. Felt awesome coming into corners.

The frame is awesome. Very light and trim. The bike doesnt feel as light and flickable as the 250f but still real good. Felt about as wide as the Yamaha which is nice.

The guy that owned is still undecided if he likes it or not. He had an 04. He said the first he loved it, second day he hated it, and now he is undecided. I sort of see his point. But I would still pick it over the Yamaha just for the handling. I can make the motor to what I would want but you can't correct the Yamaha handling issues with their 450's. 06 will be interesting to see for the 450's. I am curious if Yamaha is going to change the motor. I dont know that they want to run oil through the aluminum frame. All those holes in the frame for the hoses and everything might weaken the integrity of it. I dunno. I dont see them doing anything more than what they did with the 2-strokes. Just keep the same ergo's but just use an aluminum frame. Should be good in 06. Have fun with your new bikes they are definitly sweet.

Like I said he's undecided. I think he'll get used to it. It will take some time though.

Interesting findings, I thought very similar things. I'm coming off an '03 CRF450 and was shocked by the low-end response of the '05! It made slick corners very tricky! I'm thinking of going up one size on the pilot jet, it should soften the low end hit somewhat as well as improve the on/off throttle transition. It feels a bit stronger than my '03 in the middle and top, but not that much of a difference.

Handling wise it is great! Turning is a definite improvement, very neutral, and the bike is dead stable through whoops. The springs are a little soft for me (225 lbs) so I will go to .48's in the front and 5.7 rear.

I feel the same about my '05. I am mostly a woods rider and the bike revs MUCH more quickly than my '04 with the exact same flywheel (+15 oz.). The low-end response is almost too much. What can be done to soften the power delivery? I am thinking about installing a quiet muffler so I don't offend the neighbors and I am hoping that it will soften the hit. So far the '04 motor is my favorite, I would like to have the '04 motor in the '05 frame. What change contributed the most to this drastic change in power delivery? I am guessing the new ignition...

Go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket. That would help.

It came on very quick would break the rear wheel loose. I think if you put an FMF pipe on it would smoothen it out more. On the 04 it was abrubt stock as well, not as bad as the 05, but perfect with with the Factory 4 system. Also it has a tendancy to stall.

sounds to me like you'd want a heavier flywheel. it would tame the quick reving and definitely solve the stall problem.

Just change the gearing. Drop a tooth in the back.

I see lots of guys recommend this but I feel it works just the opposite for me, especially in the woods.

I was running a 52 rear for the longest time and recently put a 51 on and it changed the way the bike hit big time.

I always felt I was between gears and it hit too hard.

When you go bigger you seem to get more torque and can run a gear higher.

It does sound like the weight of the rider would affect all your opinions. I think I'll keep my 04 CRF until I ride my friends 06 YZF 450 .. LOL Can only imagine what Yamaha has coming out in knowing CRF dominated last 2 years. 😢

i rode an 05 and felt it was much weaker than my 04, but i have work done to mine. the 05 needs a tooth in the rear to make 2nd gear more useable. i didnt notice the hit but i didnt ride my 04 much before having stuff dont to it. the only thing is see that is better than the 04 is the weight. it feels lighter in the air. with the 20mm offset clamps my 04 will be as good or better. i will wait til 06.

Yea but you've got a lot done to your 04. Your riding like a 55+ hp bike. This thing is stock. It really felt like my 03 YZF. Honestly the 2 bikes have completely switched places.

I had a chance to ride my 03 and a 05 back to back, my 03 has alot of mods done to it the 05 was stock except for the gearing, plus 2 in rear ,(the stock gearing is very tall) Anyhow, The 05 feels much more compact, easier to turn in and lighter, power wise is real close but the 05 revs quicker. I think the key to riding either of them is to be in a gear higher than you think you should and "Trust" the motor. You have very little wheel spin and it tames the beast a little...

First time poster. First time thumper owner as well. I purchased an 05 crf 450. I think its a great machine. The first day out I had trouble stalling it. Once I "learned" the machine its been awesome. I don't notice that big of a hit just great power everywhere. I think the motor is kinda forgiving. I can be in the complete wrong gear and with a little clutch still make any obsticle on the track. I need stiffer springs I think and the stock bars are too low for me but other than that I'm sold. Jumps great. Turns great. Flys through woops. I'm a happy costumer. Like I said though, this is my first 4 stroke. Maybe I will get pickier as I go. 😢

I bet if you put a 04 ignition box on an 05 it would take out the abrupt throttle response. They probably changed the TPS map for more advance in the 05 box.

I replaced my YZ250 (2 smoke) with the 05 CRF450. I have only had it on 2 rides in the last week. 1 an MX track and the other a wide open off road area. No tight woods yet. It felt good to me off the bottom so far. I felt my 250 hit more abrupt right off the bottom causing the front wheel to hop around more. Now once I get it in the woods maybe I will feel different. Now the top end seemed to make my eyes water. Just my $.02

Since I'm built more like a linebacker than a motocross rider (6'1", 220) Anybody have a suggestion for spring rates? One other thing. Does Honda make a tall seat for the CRF? I know after market companies do but I don't think you can beat the Honda seat foam.

Thanks

E

I know 2 guys that have '04 CRF's and I am going to switch ignition boxes with one of them to see if I can get it to run more like an '04. The '05 doesn't have too much power, it's just a little too responsive even with a +15 oz. flywheel in snotty conditions in the woods. I don't want to change the gearing, that is just a work-around that will have other consequences. I will let everyone know the results of the swap.