Sign in to follow this  

yet another oil question

this is simple one however...

lots of you guys talk about running Mobil 1 red cap - but my question is, what about the green or blue cap Mobil 1 - is there any difference?

I think it does have moly in it - which is no good for the trans, but what about the engine oil?

Thanks,

Kirk

I know for a fact the blue cap is "energy conserving" so that's a no-go for your tranny at least.

The green cap I don't know about, just look at the little round API emblem on the back of the bottle. If the lower half says "energy conserving" don't use it in the transmission side.

The red cap 15w50 is a great oil for cars AND bikes... 😢

thanks rapture,

is the energy conserving stuff OK for the engine side? or is it bad there too?

thanks rapture,

is the energy conserving stuff OK for the engine side? or is it bad there too?

It is not bad for an engine, after all, very expensive cars run it. What you DON'T want to do is break in a new engine with it, at least on a motorcycle, the added "slippery" parts of energy conserving oils *might* stop a proper ring seal from happening.

Notice I said "might", some people will say it will, some people will say it won't. Be safe. Break your new rings/piston in with NON-energy conserving oils...synthetic or not won't matter. I break my new rings in using Mobil-1 15w50 synthetic. Great ring seal, no blow by, and great longetivity. 😢