Sign in to follow this  

My xr50 wont run past idle when wet

It's strange. I noticed after washing the bike. It would be hard to start and would not take any gas. As it warmed up it would rev higher but still die at high revs. I felt just like it was running out of gas, I took the gas cap off, switched to reserve, tapped the carb for a stuck float etc.

Eventually it was fine.

Anyway, I was riding and went through a puddle and the motor dies. Again the same symptoms, only idle at forst and then as it dried, higher and higher rpm's eventually okay.

It then ran fine. Took it home washed it and the same thing, wet = idle only then after a while okay.

I hosed the motor while it was running, wetting the coil/plug wire and cap and the ignition cover, still the bike ran fine. Huh, How I'm puzzled?

But the only thing I did not wet was the CDI under the seat, I'm gonna try that this afternoon.

Anyone got any advise, could it be the CDI?

If so should I replace it with a rev box, or just by a used stock CDI. Anyone got one?

The motor has a BBR 82cc kit with stock pipe and carb.

Thanks

If you are soaking your filter you choke the motor and it wouldn't run past idle well until dry.

Could be....

I modded the stock airbox by drilling a couple of holes in it that I taped up to keep water out.

Maybe I lost the tape. I'll check

I coulda sworn I posted to this question 😢, but oh well. But yea like Braa said, you are just soaking the air filer with water and they wont run when you do that, it starves them for air.

That's what I thought on my banshee's open air filter but it turned out to be the coil that was using the water to short every other spark or so to the frame. Same symptoms. Just figured I'd share...

😢