Sign in to follow this  

Preparing the bike for winter?

Last year all I did was put Stablizer in the gas and didnt start it until it warmed up again. I was wondering if there was anything else that should be done. Like on my snowmobiles I fog them for the winter do we do this on 4-stroke bikes to?

well, why not just ride a bit in the winter? it wouldnt be hard with under 6 inches or hardpacked snow. i would put in the stabilizer, and warm up it 1nce every few weeks

i usually hate florida untill i hear of people up north putting the bikes up when i'm still riding

What we used to do is....

1 Change the oil So when we ride again it'll be all ready

2 Run all of the gas out of the tank (even the reserve)

3 Take out spark plug fog it kick the bike over a few times and fog it again. Put the plug back in.

4 Take the bottom bowl off the carbuerator drain it out and clean it out.

5 Put it away then get it out when it gets warm.

When we did this last year the bike started first kick when added gas. It may seem like alot but if you like to have everything fresh and ready to ride that first nice day then all you will need to do is add gas!

I change the oil to 10w-30 and stud the tires. Then my TTR is all ready for winter. 😢

Just started winterizing the kids TTR90. Re studded his rear tire and washed it. Good to go as soon as we get some snow 😢

Same for the YZ400. Just needs a little jetting and its good to go also.

Winter time is a blast on bikes. I ride year around in Michigan. Last winter I didn't miss a weekend from Dec 1st thru March. Its cold but its fun.

I change the oil to 10w-30 and stud the tires. Then my TTR is all ready for winter. 😢

That is exactly what I do only never studed the tires I was going to this winter. 😢

Are studded tired only good for ice? or are they also good for snow?

I really never trail ridden in the snow. I do know that if the snow is deep on the lake its hell when you go off track. By deep in mean over 5".

You can use studed tires off ice aka trail riding. But just be aware that after you have taken that tire offroad it is going to be about usless for any serious ice riding. Offroad riding is gonna tear the heck outta the screw heads.

Ice tires must be treated like gold. Only roll them on ice. To get them to and from the ice use tire wraps to protect the screws. And push the bike to and from the ice so you dont spin the tire on anthing hard.

I ride single track in the snow. Its a hoot. But its hard on the studded tires. I can get a season outta a screw studded tire for trail riding before I gotta replace screws. But We have lots of sand under the snow. Its easy on studs. I coached a buddy on studding tires. He killed his rear tire in one ride. He rides in the mountains and there are lots of rocks under the snow. Live and learn I guess.

www.winterstuds.com has some really sweet studded winter tires.