Sign in to follow this  

The 57-yr old geezer did all right!

Well, like I said, I did in fact show up for the New Mexico OHVA meeting Saturday (great folks) and ride on Sunday. They took it easy on me; I didn't feel pressured to "keep up" and someone always rode sweep behind me. Some rocky 2-track, but a fair bit of tight woods single-track. The only time I fell was when the blasted KLX hit neutral (common trait) on a downhill and threw off my rhythm. Started first kick and I was off again. One "good" thing was that a novice lady rider in front of me (we rode similar pace) on a new CRF250X hit a tree and ruptured the radiator. So she and I rode back early and I gave her (and her bike) a ride home. If I'd ridden all day I would've been making mistakes due to fatigue. As it was I'm a little sore this morning, but not too bad.

The KLX300 ran great all day; on the advice of one of the guys Saturday I set the compression damping pretty low (rocky terrain) and that helped. Lots of time in 1st and 2nd gear weaving through the woods...pretty cool!

Definitely more fun riding with folks who weren't trying to prove anything. I am just amazed how fast the skilled riders can move through the woods. I know a lot of it is experience; I'll get better with time.

As far as "stand or sit" the answer was "yes." It was very natural to me to stand on the rough and challenging sections (as my lower back will attest) and sit on the smoother sections. All in all, a good day! And thanks for the many helpful suggestions from this forum...I may turn into a single-track rider yet!

Dr. Greg;

If your KLX is a 2002 or older, either replace your star gear in the shifting mechanism or reshape it. Check out the article on www.PlanetKLX.com. That is the source of unwanted neutrals.

Ride on

Brewster

Sounds like fun Greg! I usually take advil before a ride/race, helps with the after-pains.

Tex, I gotcha beat there! My doc finally broke down and gave me a lifetime prescription for Oxycontin (lowest dosage) because of chronic pain from all my fractures. Of course I take Advil, too! 😢

where did you ride at?

Right in your "neck o' the woods"...Cedro Peak. I can't say the exact trails, since I don't know them (perhaps one was "Pine Ridge" or something like that). Didn't have much trouble w/MTB'ers. Good time all around, 'till Joanne hit the tree...but that gave me an excuse to quit early; I would've been pretty beat if I had ridden all day, probably would have fallen plenty from fatigue.

Dr. Greg;

If your KLX is a 2002 or older, either replace your star gear in the shifting mechanism or reshape it. Check out the article on www.PlanetKLX.com. That is the source of unwanted neutrals.

Ride on

Brewster

Already done it. It's a 2000 model, and I replaced the star wheel with the Stroker one shortly after I bought it. It's still pretty easy to nudge into neutral. I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, since you get more "shock absorbtion" from your ankles, and I'm less likely to nudge the bloody shift lever.