Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF250R What pipe for racing??

Upon doing research on this, I have become even more baffled on which pipe to get for this bike. We ran a FMF Factory 4 System with a torque header on the 04 but people are saying their are more powerful out there. I am looking for cold hard facts to make my decision. The Dr. D and the Big Gun seem to be just as good as the Factory 4 from the dyno numbers I saw. The Dr. D actually had the best numbers out of all the pipes. Let me know what you guys know and what you have found. Thanks

Dr.D is what looks to tbe the best. Also the CHM pipe is supposed to be putting out strong numbers.

Dr.D is what looks to tbe the best. Also the CHM pipe is supposed to be putting out strong numbers.

+1

Dano

I ran the factory 4 for a while.It had middle to upper not enough low.I now have the Dr.D and like it much better.Plenty of low to mid which i like the top was acceptable.I herd that fmf makes a new powerbomb header that makes the factory4 much better.A friend of mine has one.If it is a money issue you cant beat the DR.D,I paid 385.00 for complete system(low boy).

you should hold out for a couple of weeks until Jemco is through building my lowboy system for my 250. if it is anything like the 450 system then it will be awesome. i will post pics and unbiased ride report when i get it back from them. the 450 will be dont this friday and i will post pics then along with ride report. the pipe will looks similar. the 250 will have a smaller outlet to the can...

I ran the factory 4 for a while.It had middle to upper not enough low.I now have the Dr.D and like it much better.Plenty of low to mid which i like the top was acceptable.I herd that fmf makes a new powerbomb header that makes the factory4 much better.A friend of mine has one.If it is a money issue you cant beat the DR.D,I paid 385.00 for complete system(low boy).

We did run the PowerBomb header on our 04. It is their torque header though in the PowerBomb version. We have heard bad reports for the moto header. Basically what was already said, decent top end and middle but no low. The moto header seems to be decent all around but we are looking for better.

A great pipe that is overlooked is the bills pipe thunder series. I got one for my 04crf and it beefed up the bottom and midrange quite a bit. It was very easy to notice this. And it revved high still. I got it dirt cheap too. i have the stock header. But this pipe definetly rips and the sound is beautiful.

I'm mulling over the Dr. D vs. Bills Pipe. I want the sparky option, which they both offer. I've had 2 Bill's and they worked great but I've heard such good stuff on the Dr. D. Decisions, decisions...

mg

My son finally got his 05 and rode it stock for the first couple days. Then, we were able to "borrow" a pipe from Japan called ME Sport. This pipe is all Ti, including the can. It weighs somewhere around 3 lbs. The head pipe is very thin and "blues" pretty quickly as you use it. It uses the step-up system. The pipe is made by the guy who fiddles with the Yoshimura pipes. The detail is "jem-like". The welds are a work of art. The bottom to mid is very good with good torque. Top end is slightly better. It kind of feels like the increase we noticed on the Dr. D pipe on our older bikes. The estimated price is $1,200!!! It's a great pipe with a great big price!

You would have to be insane or really rich to buy a pipe system that cost 1200 bucks. The thing better make your 250 a 450 for that price.

i talked to dave via email. very nice guy and very intellgent. he says he is considering making a reverse megaphone system with stepped header. should be interesting considering the craftsmanship in the ones he has now....

i talked to dave via email. very nice guy and very intellgent. he says he is considering making a reverse megaphone system with stepped header. should be interesting considering the craftsmanship in the ones he has now....

He's got the 800 number up and going,next time you have a free minute give him a call.Great person to talk motorcycles and bs with about making hp.Just an all around honest and fair guy.He is thinking of becoming a sponsor for this web site,not sure if he checked into it yet but it did come up in conversation a few times.

guys, really the "which pipe is best" topic is overblown. Your not going to be faster with any of these pipes. Everything is a trade off. Just buy what you think will fit your budget and looks cool, or maybe contingentcy, but forget splitting hairs. If you suck you will still suck with any pipe, i'm proof.

guys, really the "which pipe is best" topic is overblown. Your not going to be faster with any of these pipes. Everything is a trade off. Just buy what you think will fit your budget and looks cool, or maybe contingentcy, but forget splitting hairs. If you suck you will still suck with any pipe, i'm proof.

Very funny. Very true 😢 :cry:

So I decided to order a Dr. D. The price is right, looks cool, has a sparky and quiet core option and will hopefully run a bit better. I was very torn between Dr. D and Bill's, but as I've had a couple Bill's pipes, decided to try something different.

Looking forward to cutting minutes off my laptimes.

Mark

Yeah but if you don't suck and you are fast you know that every little bit helps when racing in the front. A tic here is just what you may need to get by the guy in front of you. We have raced a lot of different things over the years and pipes are big in all of them. The right pipe is the difference of a couple tenths, just the couple you may need to get by the guy that is pretty much the same speed as you. We race in very competitive classes where every little bit helps. We are not here to look cool or spend the most money, we want what performs. I think for the casual rider/racer you are correct but for us the pipe could be the difference between 1st and 2nd. We have proven that many of times.

Jackpot14,

Are you in So. Cal area?Call the 800 number and see what he has to offer you.Ask for Dave.

MRD-Racing

No we are on the east coast. About as far from So Cal as you can get. I will give him a call though and see what he can do for us. Maybe he can steer us in the right direction