Sign in to follow this  

Effective Plastic Repair Methods? Need Resources

Searching for resources if any effective plastic fender repairs (cracks >4") methods are out there. So for i tried quick setting expoxy, but it failed. Maybe fiberglass? Super Glue? Suggestions, appreciated. We buy new as a last resort.

Thanks

you could always use the cable-tie fix (drill some small hole and use cable ties to hold it together), but it really is a whole lot less hassle just to buy new (or ebay if you want)

Drill holes and use zip ties or wire to lace the crack back together. It'll work fine forever (or until you can replace the broken piece). I have never found a suitable adhesive.

www.urethanesupply.com

They have plastic welders and supplies. be sure to get an assortment of filler rods, and make sure polypropylene is one of them.

Practice on some trashed plastic first. Align the break. Aluminum sheet duct tape is good for this. Embed screen, I like 1/4in hardware cloth, into each side of the break, from the underside. Add repair material on top of the screen.

On the topside, once the repair underneath has cooled, get a Dremel and ball carbide bit and groove out the crack. Get some scrap plastic of the same color and cut it into narrow strips, and use it to fill the crack over the top of the surface. A butane soldering iron with adjustable heat is good for this.

Then sand out the extra material till its flush and smooth, ending with 1000-1500 grit.

Then theres the fun part. Get a propane torch and sweep the sanded surface to remove the "furr" and restore some shine.

It had better be awful expensive plastic, most times its better to just replace it.

Robert 😢

Have you had good luck with your method holding up? I tried a similar product from our body shop at work and the first time the fender got flexed it cracked again.

So far, so good. Did you use 1/4in hardware cloth? I think that is the key to a strong repair.

Robert 😢

I ran the cloth an inch on either side of the crack on the underside. The epoxy I used is a plastic repair epoxy that auto mixes in an applicator from the bodyshop. They said it should work good. I pulled the fender, sanded with heavy grit and applied the epoxy and cloth. I then grooved the crack and plastic welded the crack with an electric soldering iron and strips that I trimmed off the side of the fender. I used a heated flat scraper to flatten out the bumps after welding, sanded, and then heated to smooth. It lasted a while but when the kid dumped the bike it cracked out again. I then drilled holes on either side of the crack and used a dozen zip ties. It was still good when I sold the bike. Not pretty, but usable.