Sign in to follow this  

Broke my wrist Bad on 10/30 -- Wrote you the story

I busted up my left wrist at the MX track on Saturday 10/30.

Story:

I wasn’t doing a pair of doubles all day because they had a big bump on the takeoff and I didn’t want to risk getting kicked sideways as this is a difficult rhythm out of a corner. Anyway, they groomed the track and the line coming out of the corner pushed out to where I thought it was safe and I went for it. I think my rear end caught the bump because it kicked me way sideways. I landed and gassed it to try and straiten out, but it just tossed the rear out further. I ended up eating it hard and could tell my wrist was messed up. A couple of guys helped my get back to my truck and my wife’s uncle took my bike and followed me home (luckily I drive an automatic). I made it home and changed out of the gear with my wifes help and went to the ER.

The ER on Saturday:

The doctors did an x-ray and said I broke my wrist in two places; one was the Scafiod bone, which is a bad bone to break (right side of wrist) and the other was on the left side. They had trouble finding a hand surgeon that would work on this bone so I made an appointment for Monday.

Sunday:

So Sunday I felt okay and had a ticket to go to the Bronco game in a suite, so I took the bus up. After the first two drives I get a message that my I need to call my wife, it’s an emergency. She tells me that they found something else wrong and we need to go to a different hospital. I leave the game and go into the ER of a hospital with some of the best hand docs in the state. I sit there for 9 frickin hours waiting and they tell me my wrist is also dislocated at the lunate bone. Then they come down and are going to try and put my hand/wrist back into place. I get two turnicates on my left bicep set at 250 psi and an a$$ load of lidocane injected (took them four tries to get the IV because my hand was so swollen). My fingers are put into four Chinese finger traps and my arm is left hanging at a 90-degree angle. Then they come in and the lady doc puts her leg over my arm (she was pretty good looking so I didn’t mind), while two others pull and twist my hand trying to get my wrist back in. They actually hyper extended it and I could watch on the little x-ray machine. No Luck, I have to have surgery on Monday. I’m admitted to the Hospital, and Morphine is a good friend.

I ended up in a two-hour surgery; I have one screw that is permanent and three pins that will come out. I get the stitches out this week and then it’s a hard cast for 2-3 months, with an 8 month rehab to regain 80% of motion (will never be 100%) in my wrist. The doctor said I have a lot of soft tissue damage and it’s one of the worst ways you can break your wrist. It’s a pain typing with one hand, but I’m thankful this is all that came out of the crash. My helmet pushed my goggles into my face and gave me a cut and black eye, but it served its purpose well (no head damage) as did the other safety gear. My bike is good aside from a flat rear tire?! Looks like TT and the other moto sites are my new best friend. It’s bench racing for me this winter.

Mike

Bummer Thumpy!

I was staring at those doubles all day yesterday while

at Berthoud!

Well, there are 2 sets actually, the ones on the upper part of the track then the ones in the middle near the side parking area. Which ones are you talking about?

Some guy broke his nose bad yesterday on the rhythm section right before the triangle jump at the entrance to the track. I think he was trying to triple-triple and came up short.

Anyway, get well soon!

And remember, beer is your friend! 😢

That really sucks, but your right it could have been worse.

Get well soon and get back on that bike!

Thumpy,

Sorry to hear about the bad luck,

I feel your pain, I have been down hard since Jan 18th,

I broke my Tibial Plateau (Bottom Part of the knee joint in 3 places) crushed the muscles in my right hip and broke a bone in my right foot,

Not good at all,

Believe it or not, I wanted to go riding, bad as soon as I could,,, and here it is, going on mid november and should feel good enough to give it a shot thanksgiving weekend if all goes well.

At least you will be down during the winter months, I was down for the whole summer,

The upside was I got to do alot of work on the families bikes (might be kinda hard with one hand) and spent WAY TO MANY HOURS ON TT...

Good luck, winter well and take care...

Chem

Sorry to hear that Mike 😢

I guess we won't be seeing you at Berthoud this winter. Heel up soon and get back on that bike.

Kent

Well, there are 2 sets actually, the ones on the upper part of the track then the ones in the middle near the side parking area. Which ones are you talking about?

Some guy broke his nose bad yesterday on the rhythm section right before the triangle jump at the entrance to the track. I think he was trying to triple-triple and came up short.

Anyway, get well soon!

And remember, beer is your friend! 😢

It was the ones in the middle near the side parking area, I've seen a lot of crashes there, I guess it was my turn. The track is probably going the opposite direction this month. Pete came up and checked to make sure I was okay, which was pretty cool and he gave my Uncle a rain check for helping me get home. That sucks about the guy that broke his nose, I've seen a few guys tripling through, kind off all or nothing.

I hope to make it out to a couple HS's with some buddies, a day of watching and helping in the pits is still better than a day on the couch. I'll see some of you guys up there, maybe I can help out in the office or something. I get the stitches out this Thursday and then a hard cast. Can't wait to get back on the bike, but I've got a while.

Thanks for the reply's 😢

Yeah buddy, I wadded it up in that section when it used

to be only 3 humps instead of four. 426 landed on me and

bruised the tail bone pretty good! Luckily nothing broken

though!

Hope to see you at the next HS, I am missing the one this weekend. Bummer. 😢

I know what you feel !

One tip, do that rehab 150% !

See my wrist here:

334231-xray1.jpg

Today I ride Enduros and HS again with the D-36 District.

Do not have 100% of the wrist functions back, but pretty much 90%, thanks to my therapist that killed me from day one on.

dirtman i can tell that you broke the distle end of the radius. which wist bones did you break?

SO THE NURSE WAS HOT........ TELL US MORE!! JUST KIDDING! HOPE ALL GETS WELL ! 😢

I LOVE IT WHEN A HOT (NURSE) CHIC SAYS...........THIS IS GOING TO HURT.... 😢 :cry:

Dang Dirtman, now I don't feel so bad 😢 I got the hard cast on and the stitches out today. The x-ray was interesting, I tried to get a copy, but no luck. Maybe next time I go in I can get it. Once my rehab starts it's on 😢

I broke my ankle in July. I am back riding again and it feels sooo good.

Be patient. Figure out a way to enjoy your time off the bike..

Take care and heal quickly.

RH