C&J Frame for XR500

If I remember correctly, C&J built the frame for Ricky Johnson's super trick HL500 back in the seventies. The original sold for big bucks a couple of years ago.

A couple of years back, I built up an HL500 replica using a trick Aussie chrome moly frame. It took a while, a few little glitches, but it was an great bike when finished. Had to sell it off in my divorce. Still miss the bike, but not the ex!

VMX magazine, published in your neck of the woods, does lots of stories on TT/XR vintage thumpers. A great resource for vintage thumper projects.

The US flat track crowd used the XR a lot before the Rotax came out. A friend of mine still runs a C&J XR500 flat tracker on the local dirt oval. Lots of tuning info and parts still out there. Good Luck!

? :cry: ?

CZLou

I am interested in the Red Racer C&J replica as well but the frame price seems steep at $1850. It appears you have a lot of experience with this. What are your thoughts?

In emailing the guy at Red Racer, I ask about possible front end options for this frame. The reply I got was "Any CR Front end will work( CR480, CR 250. etc.)" It surprised my that "any" CR250 front end would work - this implies that a 2003 CR250 front end would work. Right now I'm not concerned about racing in a vintage class so I might be interested in using inverted forks with disc brakes if that was an option. Do you know what years would actually fit that frame? And what years would meet the requirements for the AHRMA (should I choose to race)?

burned is right, 78 to late 80's will fit. i have a 83 cr480 front end on mine. for the drum brake. i race d-37. for disc brakes i would run 88 cr500 cartridge forks. for ahmra , i think you'll have to run a 78 or 79 cr 250 front end to be period correct. i would check ahmra web site to make sure. back in 79 a c&j500 frame went for about $900.00. it's a great bike. it feels smooth and lite to ride. the tt500 feels alot heavyer and harder to ride. hope this helps out. lou

Thanks CZLou and burned. That is the information I was looking for. I'm still collecting info at this time. I have a 79 XR500 that I picked up that will contribute the motor.

It bought it not running and let it set for 2 more years. I finally got it cranked and it smokes like a coal train - looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Do you know if most of the parts are ready available for this motor? Are there suppliers other than the dealers?