How well do YZF250's turn?

I am getting back into riding and need advice on what to buy. I'm a semi fast older mxer. My budget allows for up to a used 04. I've ridden an 02 & 04 CRF450. Great bikes, easy to ride, but punished me when I got tired. The most important aspect of a bike to me is turning. I've read that the YZF250 feels top heavy and that the CRF250 turns better. However after reading the CRF forum for a few months I have been looking for a more reliable bike. Have any of you rode both the YZF and the CRF, how do they compare turning ability wise? Are you happy with your YZF on tight MX tracks? Are there easy mods to make the YZF turn better?

I have a friend who rides a 04 YZF250 like mine and rode his friends 04CRF250 at the track a week or so ago and said his bike handles way better and has better punch. I have a 04 ZY250F and it is an awsome bike. It was rated as one of the best bikes of the year for 04 by the magazines! ?

Keep it Down ?

04 YZ 250F $700 in upgrades & waiting on suspension & air tank to come back from tootechracing.com Can't wait... ?

No experience riding a CRF250 and I'm mostly a trail rider (A Vet enduro) but I have to agree with everyone else here. I love the way my YZ250F handles and it's bone stock (suspension-wise). I think it is light, flickable and stable. I've mostly ridden 250 two strokes my life (2 CRs, 3 YZs, KTM 400 and 200) and couldn't be happier with how it turns.

. Have any of you rode both the YZF and the CRF, how do they compare turning ability wise? Are you happy with your YZF on tight MX tracks? Are there easy mods to make the YZF turn better?

Yes I've ridden both. I've got 103 hrs saddletime on my yzf and about 2 on crf 250's. Both good handling bikes but both different. The most noticeable diff to me was the "seated to standing " diff. The gap between the footpegs and seat is less on the honda. the honda seat is flatter and if you combine these 2 it makes it easier when cornering to get way far forward on the honda. I think this nmay also contibute to the lower center of gravity feel for the Honda as it is lower between your legs.

That being said, my setup Yam will outurn those Hondas. 1 was stock and the other had the same suspension tuner as mine. Mine was just more dialed in to my needs. I also noticed the Honda's had a tendency to front end push on fast sweepers. Not bad, but noticeable. I could have probably dialed that out or it could have been tire related but both had that tendency.

With proper spring rates (not too stiff or too soft) this thing will take an inside line and hold it or a fast outside sweeper. it will do either without disappointing.

Motorwise I like the yam better. The Honda was a little soft down low but perked up noticeably midrange-up.

. Have any of you rode both the YZF and the CRF, how do they compare turning ability wise? Are you happy with your YZF on tight MX tracks? Are there easy mods to make the YZF turn better?

Yes I've ridden both. I've got 103 hrs saddletime on my yzf and about 2 on crf 250's. Both good handling bikes but both different. The most noticeable diff to me was the "seated to standing " diff. The gap between the footpegs and seat is less on the honda. the honda seat is flatter and if you combine these 2 it makes it easier when cornering to get way far forward on the honda. I think this nmay also contibute to the lower center of gravity feel for the Honda as it is lower between your legs.

That being said, my setup Yam will outurn those Hondas. 1 was stock and the other had the same suspension tuner as mine. Mine was just more dialed in to my needs. I also noticed the Honda's had a tendency to front end push on fast sweepers. Not bad, but noticeable. I could have probably dialed that out or it could have been tire related but both had that tendency.

With proper spring rates (not too stiff or too soft) this thing will take an inside line and hold it or a fast outside sweeper. it will do either without disappointing.

Motorwise I like the yam better. The Honda was a little soft down low but perked up noticeably midrange-up.

The Yz250F has no problems turning. In fact, when I crashed and my bike launched about four feet in the air, it turned some of the most beautiful sommersaults I have ever seen... ?

On a serious note, aside from the aforementioned agility this bike displays in mid air, I am basically a complete newbie and I have a 2004 250F. My first time taking it out, I was on the Hare Scramble track going between trees, around turns etc without much issue (albeit a bit slower than most guys on this board would do) The top heavy comment I believe was based on the 01 and 02 models, but from 03 on they have trimmed alot of weight.

I tested an 02 before buying my 04 model and there was a huge difference, at least for me, between how it felt underneath me. The 2004 simply feels so much smaller and less bulky.

Again, these are comments coming from a newbie, so my comparisons may not be as on the money as some of the more experienced vets here.