Sign in to follow this  

xr400 gas????

I was wondering how long gas will stay good in your tank? If you top off a half a tank of gas with fresh gas, does that help the other gas stay fresh. This sounds like a bad math problem. Basically, should I run my tank out before I fill it up again?

Rather than risk having "old" gas left in my bike, I always put Sta-Bil in my gas. This makes your gas last for over a year, and prevents the gas from gumming up your carb. When I buy some new high-octane for the XR400, I add the Sta-Bil to the gas can as soon as I get home (so I don't forget if I've added it yet). I highly recommend it, just don't get it on your fingers as it stains. 😢

Agree with stillkickin. That Sta-Bil is very cool stuff. I use it in the generator and gas cans. Gas can go bad in as little as 60-90 days and start gumming stuff up. Ride it off before that happens.😢

If you just keep riding there is no need to worry about the gas going bad. 😢 :cry:

Gas goes "stale" more quickly at higher temperatures, and in unsealed containers. (Your gas tank is essentially unsealed, with the breather tube on the cap). Chances are you will know when the gas is too stale, as the loss of volatiles to the air will make the bike hard to start. If it is cold out (0C to 10C or 32F to 50F) then it takes a LOT longer for gas to go stale.

If your bike sits for a whole month in a shed at 100+F (35+C) with a 1/4 of a tank, then it might be kinda dead gas that makes it hard to start and possibility of varnish deposits in the float bowl from that evaporating completely dry.

thanks for the information. I'm still curious if adding new gas to an old tank of gas somehow revitalizes it? I'm thinking not. Just dillutes the stale stuff. Anyone know?

Think of it this way - it would be like adding sugared ice tea to water. You would just dilute the tea and sugar. Just dump the gas and refill it we are only talking a few bucks here!