Sign in to follow this  

Woods tips

I ran my first raceon a two-stroke sunday, and I fell and nearly broke my arm, Im still not really used to the two-stroke. If anyone could give me some tip sabout riding a two-stroke in the woods, that would be nice.

I've also got a KX100 and I just started riding but I'm finding that if I stay in second gear, I don't get dragged around as much as I do in first gear. I just have to use the clutch more but that's ok, its kind of fun 😢

Try riding the bike in open areas so you can get used to the hit; its intimidating at first.

Its a nice, light bike and great for maneuvering in tight singletrack. 😢

Heres my 2 cents worth. ... Be as smooth as possible its safe and fast. Dont try go go fast by taking chances. Ride at say 90 %..100% only for brief momentes like passing etc..If you start getting tired you have to make yourself slowdown , again to be safe. Get your susp. set perfectly for you. Lastly,, being in top physical shape is the safest and fastest way to go.. thats it from here!.... Cheers!

The fastest guys I've ridden with on strokers do not stay on the pipe but loaf it. 😢

Don't 😢

Don't? Don't ride a 2-stroke? So many people recommend the KTM 200EXCs for woods riding so I'm kind of surprised to see a "no-no" on the two stroke. WEll, ok, the KTM is a much better bike than the KX100 but its also much bigger (an issue for this new rider anyways) 😢

Practice, practice, practice!!!! Just like the others said, you need to work on always keeping it in the high revs and getting used to using the clutch. Start out slow and get a feel for things. Flat ground should be easy. Just ride it up on the pipe where the bike is pulling you the strongest. When you are riding hills it can be trickier. You NEED to keep the bike in the high revs to make it up the steeper hills. If the hill is steep, but the terrain is mellow (no ruts, or obsticles), just hit it hard and keep the throttle pinned. If there are obsticles you have to keep it pinned until the obsticle is approaching and let pull the clutch ( I sometimes let off the gas a little it just depends) and coast over the obstacle. You have to be quick...once you are over the obstacle you feather the clutch and get the RPM's back up and let it out. You may have to downshift if you loose too much momentum. The clutch finesse is one of the harder things to get used to. If you let that clutch out too quick on a hill you will loop your bike. Just start playing with the clutch and get a feel where you need to be. I found after putting on my Fatty pipe I felt the bike was just easyier to ride because it had a bigger power band which made it a little more forgiving on hill climbs. It also make the bike a lot quicker. Also a flywheel weight is a great addition for the trail. The 10 oz makes it rev a little smoother which help tractabitly. Don't get me wrong, it still has a nice punchy hit. Just take your time getting to know the bike and you will get the hang of it in no time. 😢

A 2-stroke MX bike is designed for MX, for woods you need to:

1. Lessen the hit

2. Smooth the power out

3. Increase the range

4. Make it comply with local rules etc (sound, spark)

To lessen the hit you can do several things:

1. Flywheel weight (this will add rotating mass to the bike and thus get rid of some of the peaks etc.)

2. Restrict the exhust flow (That's what factories do on stock bikes (FMF Q series is more restrictive than the non Q)

3. Gear it taller (This will smooth the power, but make it harder to ride slow)

4. Clean up the jetting. (Get Gary Semics volume #8 I think it is)

5. Torque reeds can add power down low

6. Porting (This costs a lot, Erick Gorr and others can port it to have more KDX like power)

7. Adjust the power vavle.

On my girlfriends KX100, I just put a 12oz stealhy on it and with the stock pipe and FMF Turbine core II it was too smooth. With a FMF Fatty it was a little too jumpy for her.

To extend the range, get a IMS 2.5 gallon tank. Also for off-road racing get some hand guards (I like the Cycra Pro-Bends myself)

Good luck,

Momentum is the key!!, look well ahead and keep the bike driving forward, stay loose and let the bike do it,s job.! 😢

And besides momentum you need to keep you engine speed up. You do this by using the clutch combined with the throttle. On a small 2-stroke if you back off the gas like a 4-stroke, you will be stalling the bike soon on any steep hills.

Good luck,

i ride a cr250 in all of my woods races. I like more than my four stroker to. I keep it in 2nd and 3rd gear the whole time. I almost never see first gear except for in tight tight stuff. Just feather the clutch and you will never stall. I don't sugeest staying on the pipe through the woods. Also looking ahead is very important. a very key factor to becoming fast in the woods is to just ride smooth. Trust me i know from experience that if you really want to go fast calm your self down and just make safe choices. It is much faster to go at a 50 to 80% pace the whole race than running a 90 to 100% pace for a while then slamming into a tree, over shotting turns, or just falling, and then you are completely worn out and a 9 year kid comes up and passes you on a 50. although if you are in a very easy section such as a straight away it is ok to go as fast as you can be still be smart and take extra care to read the entire trail and watch for your next turn 😢 :cry:. Also practice alot on just reading trails this will help alot. A very good tip as well is never give up on a turn or obsticle of any kind i have seen so many racers just give up on a turn that they didn't think they could make and jumping right off a cliff or into a tree. Another tip would be if you think you are about to run into tree stop looking at the tree and and look at a route around it and freaking turn. I ran into several trees when i started racing in the woods and several times when i would think that i was going to hit a tree i would just look right at it and off course ran straight into it. 😢

Another tip would be if you think you are about to run into tree stop looking at the tree and and look at a route around it and freaking turn. I ran into several trees when i started racing in the woods and several times when i would think that i was going to hit a tree i would just look right at it and off course ran straight into it. 😢

Yeah those trees arent as soft as they look. 😢