Sign in to follow this  

Question(s) regarding Thumper Racing 270 kit.

Will the piston be as or more reliable than stock given it is forged and has a longer skirt? I assume with added HP comes added engine heat....does anyone have any first hand experience with valve life when running one of these kits? Thanks in advance!

some are having problems with wrist pin failures due to the added weight of the piston...and the piston skirt isnt the issue..its the cylinder skirt on the 04 that is....

Wrist pin failures!! Really? And I was just getting ready to do this conversion. Just the Thumper kit? How many problems have you heard of?

Never heard that before. The Thumper CRF kit was completely redesigned a couple of months back, but it wasn't because of the piston. How about some first hand info instead of "I heard......" I've got a few hundred miles on my 270, couldn't be happier. I've put a couple on YZFs with no problems as well......over 1000 miles on those.

I* have had very good experience with Eric Gorr at Forward Motion. He is now finally offering a 262cc for the CRF250 that does not involve sleeving of any kind. Just bore and replate. This is a much sfer better option than the sleeved 270 kit and you don't loose as much top end power. tell him Jeremie from MN sent you. His prices are very good as well. Under $400 for the whole kit! I have had him do several engines for me. Never a problem and good tech support.

Jeremie