Sign in to follow this  

Best gearing for Beg/Int MX??

13/51 or 13/48 and if I went with a 14 front what would that equate to on the rear?

How does the bike feel now? If you go to a 14 in the front or down any in the rear it will mellow it out quite a bit. If you go up it will make the bike faster. It's all in how it feels to you though.

You'll be the best person to answer this question. As mentioned, it will depend on how the bike feels now. It will also depend on the type of the track you're riding. If it's a tight track with jumps right after the turns, the 13/51 is probably going to be the way to go.

If the bike feels like it's a bit too much for you, go the other route to mellow it out and make it easier to ride.

Lot's of variables on this one so best of luck. 😢

PS: My advice is just to ride with the stock gearing for a while and see how that works for you. I've never had to change from it with my '03 CRF450.

Are you a beginner or intermediate??? Actually it doesnt matter it comes down to how you like your powerband. Honestly i think you would have way to much bottom end with a 13/51 gearing for mx cause i have a 13/50 and think that i would be faster if i had a 13/49 so the power would come on so abrutly. The 13/48 is the stock gearing..isnt it? For mx go ahead and try to the 13/51 cause i actually love my 13/50 because i like to shift a lil early and maybe you do to. But if you wanted the strongest powerband i really believe that a 13/49 would achieve it.

Changing 1 tooth on the front is pretty much equal to changing 3 teeth in the rear. If you are planning on changing 3 or more teeth on the rear sprocket you would be better off starting with one on the front. Also, you can add or subtract a tooth on the front without needing a longer or shorter chain.

Changing 1 tooth on the front is pretty much equal to changing 3 teeth in the rear.

Actually, it's more like 4 teeth on the rear.

I would go with 13/51 if it was me.

Are you a beginner or intermediate??? Actually it doesnt matter it comes down to how you like your powerband. Honestly i think you would have way to much bottom end with a 13/51 gearing for mx cause i have a 13/50 and think that i would be faster if i had a 13/49 so the power would come on so abrutly. The 13/48 is the stock gearing..isnt it? For mx go ahead and try to the 13/51 cause i actually love my 13/50 because i like to shift a lil early and maybe you do to. But if you wanted the strongest powerband i really believe that a 13/49 would achieve it.

For 02-03, 13-50 seems to have been stock gearing. 04-05 come with 13-48. I wonder if the primary/tranny gearing is different on newer bikes?

I just got an 02 crf450 with 13-50. Seems a bit low for MX, as I'm often rev'ing out 2nd as I exit a turn, or lugging 3rd. I'm thinking a 48 or 49 rear would make 2nd more usable, more of the time. (would you feel 1 tooth/2%?)

I wonder if the primary/tranny gearing is different on newer bikes?

Nope, same internal gearing.

I could definately tell a difference by changing 1 tooth on my 02.