Sign in to follow this  

Talon Sprockets? Any good?

The regular silver Talon sprockets are my favorite aluminum sprocket, they wear great compared to Renthal or some of the other aluminum ones that don't last long. I haven't had nearly as much luck with the gold Talon sprockets, I think they're called groove-light or something.

I have the gold groove lite and have had good experience with them. It hardly wears at all on my CRF250. It lasted about a year on my 450. I could wear out Renthals in about two months on my 1995 RM125.

DSC02509.jpg

Talons are the only thing I'll use now. I use the gold groovelite and they are a very strong, lightweight sprocket. The ironmans are strong, but they're heavy; very heavy compared to Talons.

I put a Ironman on my 03 at the same time I powder coated my hubs and one of them caused my sprocket bolts to keep coming loose and wear out the hub. Before the sprocket and the powder coating I never had a problem. I don't know which one did it but I won't take anymore chances with Ironman or powdercoating hubs.

Talon doesn't quite last as long as the Ironman because the Ironman is steel and the Talon is Aluminum but for a lightweight aluminum sprocket the Talon does last. I've had one on my 04 for about 8 months and I ride at least once, sometimes 2 or 3, times a week. It does need replacing now but I've got this long of wear on it.

I think the Talons look trick too. I've got a lot of compliments on them.

Talons are the only thing I'll use now. I use the gold groovelite and they are a very strong, lightweight sprocket. The ironmans are strong, but they're heavy; very heavy compared to Talons.

I put a Ironman on my 03 at the same time I powder coated my hubs and one of them caused my sprocket bolts to keep coming loose and wear out the hub. Before the sprocket and the powder coating I never had a problem. I don't know which one did it but I won't take anymore chances with Ironman or powdercoating hubs.

Talon doesn't quite last as long as the Ironman because the Ironman is steel and the Talon is Aluminum but for a lightweight aluminum sprocket the Talon does last. I've had one on my 04 for about 8 months and I ride at least once, sometimes 2 or 3, times a week. It does need replacing now but I've got this long of wear on it.

I think the Talons look trick too. I've got a lot of compliments on them.

He said it all right here. I loved mine.

I have had good luck with talons but be sure to keep the sprocket bolts tight with them not having a full circle center,a loose bolt means a broken hub.