Sign in to follow this  

DR350 gastank volume... extra reserve?

I've seen a fair number of posts here about how little range we get from the stock DR350 tank. But when I drained the tank yesterday so I could work on a leaky petcock I found that there's at least a quart hiding in the right lower side that doesn't make it to the petcock unless you tip the bike over on its left side and lift it back up.

I suspect the range would easily go up by about 20% if you can get that extra gas to the carb.

Or is tipping the bike over on it's side just an acceptable part of dirt riding that I didn't know about yet?

I've seen a fair number of posts here about how little range we get from the stock DR350 tank. But when I drained the tank yesterday so I could work on a leaky petcock I found that there's at least a quart hiding in the right lower side that doesn't make it to the petcock unless you tip the bike over on its left side and lift it back up.

I suspect the range would easily go up by about 20% if you can get that extra gas to the carb.

Or is tipping the bike over on it's side just an acceptable part of dirt riding that I didn't know about yet?

I had the same thoughts on my DR-350s, long ago. Used to commute 110 miles round-trip, and more than once ran out of fuel on the reserve tank within sight of the gas station.

Would coast into the grass, lay bike down on the LH side, shake it a bit, then pick it back up and ride it to the gas station.

Called those drops my "reserve-reserve". Unknown how much is in there, though.

Eventually bought a Clarke tank, and range is about double what it used to be. Have gone beyond 200 miles before having to walk...

Best,

Doug Grosjean

Luckey, Ohio

douggrosjean@wcnet.org

...Called those drops my "reserve-reserve". Unknown how much is in there, though......

Drops? There's a lot more than that. If you pull off the tank and look at the right side lower "mutton chop" you'll see that it'll easily hold somewhere half way between a pint and a quart in there.

I saw in another thread where someone had an internal gizmo to syphon the right side gas over to the left side automatically. I'm thinking that some sort of hose setup in a big upside down U with a one way valve at the top to purge the air in the U would work. It would purge and fill the U when you fill the tank up and then as the gas gets low on the left it'll syphon over the U to keep the right and left side the same until it sucks air into the line.