Sign in to follow this  

Shifting with the Clutch

with the clutch... it doesnt take that long to pull it in... worth it than risking something happening to your bike 😢

I don't. As long as you let go of the throttle, and right when you do, you shift, and then get back on the gas, you'll be fine. I only use the clutch when starting or stopping, or downshifting.

Gassing, then letting go of the gas and shifting does not hurt the clutch or the tranny.

Do you guys shift with the clutch or without it? 😢

Depends on if my ass is in trouble or not.

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I think we ride the same way! 😢 :cry:

MAN, i hope i never buy a bike from you Tranny Killers.

I always clutch...plates are cheaper than gears...

Bikes have sequential transmissions. As long as you unload the trans (back off the throttle), it does no damage

ALWAYS clutch. ALWAYS. I value my gearbox highly. I dont want to destroy the poor thing.

When I trail ride in a "sun in my face mood", I use the clutch.

When ride with younger riders babbling about my age, meaning : "Hey you are an old man and you still ride !". I certainly use the clutch out of mud holes in a gear higher to roost the sh*t out of them 😢 :cry:

This is when I can get in front 😢.

But more seriously, when I upshift I'll use the clutch, but on downshift I just blip the throttle.

MAN, i hope i never buy a bike from you Tranny Killers.

I always clutch...plates are cheaper than gears...

Bikes have sequential transmissions. As long as you unload the trans (back off the throttle), it does no damage

Tell'um about it Kevin 😢

My Drag bike trans had two gears engaged at the same time, the higher gear would override the lower gear, and when it did the lower gear would kick out it's shifting fork, this was using a almost STOCK trans.

BUT....if you would back of the gas it would bend the shifting fork.

For some reason most belive there is a lot more traction and Horse Power hook up on pavement with slicks then dirt and knobbie tires. 😢

Drag racing bikes, you use the clutch to shift, YOU LOSE!

It has suprised me in who uses the clutch to shift all the time.

just my 2 cents

There are large numbers of us here that don't even have the option. I use an auto clutch that disengages when the engine RPM's are low (like idle). Other than that, it's just back off the throttle and shift. NO PROBLEMS.

4e91ee06.jpg

I use the clutch to downshift. If I'm turning hot-laps no clutch on the upshift.

I just started using the no-clutch upshift method on my CBR600F4i, and my left ankle doesn't move like it used to, and hit a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd a few weeks ago. I thought I fudged something up, but I just clutched 'er and got it done.

You lose alot of RPMs when you clutch for an upshift.

I have been riding on and off road for 14 years or so, never used a clutch to up shift, doubt I ever will. As was stated before, with a sequential tranny, you won't hurt it if you unload it.

I currently own 5 bikes and have had a total of about 15, maybe more. Have not killed a transmission yet.

I thought the clutch was for slippin' when you don't want to down shift 😢 other then that its don't get used much.

If I'm trying to ride the fastest I can I don't use the clutch, but when I'm just out there to have fun I use the clutch all the time.

So does shifting without the clutch mess up the transmission in the long run or not? 😢

I'm confused 😢, how can you not damage your plates/gearbox without using the clutch? I understand you have to be off the gas and i understand it will if you aren't but how does that not screw up friction plates etc?

So does shifting without the clutch mess up the transmission in the long run or not? 😢

Since 1973, I have never seen any proof if it what so ever.

How do you think the guys that changed to autos shift?

IMO....If you shift your dirt bike the VARY, VARY, same as you do a car, then the clutch is doing it's job and you ride like my GRANDMOTHER 😢

BUT....if you ride with some zip, and use the clutch..do you really believe the inter and outer clutch basket are not still turning at the same speed when you pulled that clutch leaver in for that .3 second. NO! You released the load on the shifting dogs when you backed of the gas first for that .3 second. Think about it!