Sign in to follow this  

A guide to easily re-shining dull (rear) rims! +UPDATE!!!+

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY MISTAKES YOU MAKE ON YOUR BIKE, OR RESPONSABLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO IF YOU USE THIS INFO!! THIS WILL STRIP ANY PAINTED ON LETTERING OFF YOUR RIM!!

Before you read this, these are the results.

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-239241.jpg

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-240612.jpg

(don't mind the missing chain and gored sprocket, one's on the way. It popped while i was a mile away from my truck and i almost passed out pushing my bike through deep sand and hills in the middle of summer. I was trying to be frugal and get every last bit of use out of the old one 😢)

OK, I'll keep this short and easy. If you have a bike with a anodized coating on the rims that won't allow you to just use aluminum polish to re shine them to factory looks, here's a quick, super cheap, fairly easy way to do it:

Things needed: Super Strength Easy Off Oven Cleaner (yellow can,) $4, regular Brillo Pads $4, Aluminum Polish $5-6, Wax (New Finish 2001) $6, Sizzors, rubber gloves, 3 old towels and a old shirt or shop towels.

WARNING, THIS WILL MAKE IT NECESSARY TO HAVE TO TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR RIMS!! BUT IT'S JUST LIKE HAVING TO CLEAN YOUR SPOKES AS THEY ARE ALREADY UN ANODIZED ALUMINUM!

Step 1: Put bike on stand and clean rim(s) to be shined (DON'T USE DISH WASHING SOAP OR LAUNDRY SOAP.

Step 2: Shake can of Easy Off, spin rim and spray only rim with good coating, making sure to coat entire thing. make sure as coating sits on rim to spin the rim to keep coating from running off.

Leave it on for about 2 minutes, or till you see the rim turn good and black under the easy off.

Step 3: Use 1 old towel to wipe easy off off the bike making sure to get as much oxidation (black stuff) off as possible. Don't use towel again; only for other rim!

Step 4: Shower rim off with soap and water.

Step 5: LIGHTLYclean with a Brillo pad rubbed in mothers aluminum polish. I can't stress how much you want to lightly clean as not to scratch the rim. This is to lightly remove pitting and blemishes. Wash off the residue and dry lightly.

Step 6: Cut a long 2 inch wide by 12 inch long ribbon of the old shirt and twist it up length wise. this will be used for the spokes.

Coat ribbon with aluminum polish, wrap one circle around a spoke and pull on one end till it slides down the spoke, than the other end so it slides up the spoke this is the most easy way to polish the spokes. Keep applying polish as needed, but not to the point where you have runoff everywhere!

After finished, wipe the spokes clean with towel.

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-240665.jpg

Step 7: After you've done the spokes AND THE HARD PARTS OF THEM, it's time to move back to the rim.

Take a small rag and apply aluminum polish. Rub the rim good starting between the spokes with one finger, reaching around each spoke getting as much as possible so when you rub the sides of the rim, the polishing can meet up. This is as easy as it gets!

After all is polished, wipe dry with the towel again.

Step 8: Clean rim with soap and water (NOT DISH WASHING/LAUNDRY SOAP!!!!!!!!!!) and dry off.

Step 9: FINAL STEP!!!!! Cut another ribbon of the shirt, apply wax to it and follow the spoke polishing process for the waxing, making sure you don't fling too much wax all over the place.

Cut a small piece of towel to wax the rim. Start as before in between the spokes getting as much as possible with one finger reaching around the sides of the spoke to ease the waxing process. I like New Finish 2001 cause it's a superior chemical wax that lasts over a year through grueling conditions such as mud and rocks.

Wait for wax to dry and with remaining towel, wipe off. Wash rim one more time and dry, and marvel at your new BLING BLING RIM(S).

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-240666.jpg

Now when you need to shine your rear rim up, all you need is a little aluminum polish, and wax instead of having to re anodize your rim, or live with the impossible to shine anode coating.

😢

UPDATE!!

I decided to polish other parts of my bike. It was asking for it. These are pics of parts that are easily polished with a little rubbing. It took about 2 days of steady work to polish these parts. The hardest part was the heat guard on the exhaust cause it's made out of steal, not aluminum.

If you wanna try this, follow the above directions only for the brake lever. The heat guard on the header pipe requires the most work as it has to be sanded with a super fine sand paper till the paint is gone (HARD WORK), then polished the most out of all the parts of the entire bike.

The other parts only require a polishing with your choice of aluminum polish. I used mothers, with the red label.

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-242350.jpg

yamaha-yz426f-00-bikepics-242348.jpg😢

Maybe the mods would want to sticky post this at the top of the forum. I thought it was a good idea to write up a writeup about how to do it. I couldn't find info like this anywhere.

I think your post is great. But I am not clear if you used

the oven cleaner on the spokes or just the wax/polish?

Also, have you tried to use a softer (plastic type) scrubber

Like a two sided sponge with the coarse side down? I have a few bikes and just might try it on the spokes first, My rims are not too bad, but if it is worth the effort And is not too troublesome to keep looking good, I will do the full monty.

Thanks 😢

P.S. Do you think this would work on other parts of the bike? Like maybe the end can? mine has strange liquid stains on it from who knows what kind of dried chemical.

The list could go on to include shifter and rear brake lever as well as anything bare (in need of polishing) on the bike. 😢

Just a thought

I think your post is great. But I am not clear if you used

the oven cleaner on the spokes or just the wax/polish?

Also, have you tried to use a softer (plastic type) scrubber

Like a two sided sponge with the coarse side down? I have a few bikes and just might try it on the spokes first, My rims are not too bad, but if it is worth the effort And is not too troublesome to keep looking good, I will do the full monty.

Thanks 😢

This is an exact quote of step 2. "Step 2: Shake can of Easy Off, spin rim and spray only rim with good coating, making sure to coat entire thing. make sure as coating sits on rim to spin the rim to keep coating from running off"

All you need for your spokes is some aluminum polish. I don't think spokes come anodized but i could be wrong. If the spokes are anodized, just throw them in with the rim(s) when you spray the easy off on them.

P.S. Do you think this would work on other parts of the bike? Like maybe the end can? mine has strange liquid stains on it from who knows what kind of dried chemical.

The list could go on to include shifter and rear brake lever as well as anything bare (in need of polishing) on the bike. 😢

Just a thought

I only recommend this for aluminum parts that are anodized. A good way to tell is: Get some aluminum polish and rub the part. If you don't get a black residue with a little rubbing, or a LOT of rubbing, then a shiny part after it's wiped clean, then you have a anodized part. That is the quickest best cheapest way to do away with pesky anodizing.

Mine had spots of [@#$%&*!] from chain lube on it. 2 rides and the mud polished it up...

Why spend a whole day doing that when riding it will eventually clean it up? 😢

Same with my plastic. Chain lube flung off on my white numberplate. Couldnt get off with anything. 2 rides or so, wasn't there anymore.

Get Flix it's a cleaner and it works really well and it'll take anything off and you can get it almost anywhere 😢

Just a little note to mention that spokes are not aluminium. Spokes are steel, either stainless or galvanized. If galvanized then polishing off the zinc galvanizing fully so the steel is exposed will make them easier to rust. But a little polishing now and then is OK.

Other than that the rims look great and it's a super write up. A good car wax that contains silicone should help keep the aluminium looking good for quite a while. I've polished up some bicycle parts in the past and finished then with my favourite motorcycle wax, Eagle One. The parts have stood up well to year round bicycle communting through lots of rain and snow. A yearly polish with more Eagle One keeps them looking pretty. I suspect that on these rims you'd need to do it a couple or three times a year but it should work well.

But as with any wax or most similar other products if you use a cleaning solvent or WD40 to take off chain lube spots you'll need to rewax.

Having said all this I'm not sure I'd go to this much trouble with my dirtbike but to each their own.

One TT'r (govt) recommends the use of Resolve carpet cleaner for the ground in dull dirt finish on aluminum. He uses it on the engine cases with the baked dirt finish, might be another product for rim cleaning. Also 0000 steel wool is great for cleaning without scratching glass or polished surfaces.

I use *drumroll*

Water. And a brush, sometimes. Or, sometimes, nothing.

It is just me, or does anyone else not care that their rims reflect an exorbant amount of light?

Anyway, SHOULD YOU WANT SHINY RIMS, nice writeup 😢

Wow. With trying to squeeze in riding time into my schedule and regular matienence when the hell am I going to have 3 hours to polish my rims? Good idea if you don't have a girlfriend/wife/kids/job or a bike that doesn't work that you could actually be riding on. 😢 Just playing with ya. 😢 Some people get really into how their bike looks. Different strokes for different folks. 😢 :cry:

I don't have a girl or a life. allz i got is my bikes and my hand!

,,to keep my bikes clean of course. What where you thinkinggg?

I'm going to laugh when all the wax and stuff wears off, and everything starts pitting. Then you go through the process all over again.

No magic dirt, just dirt is sandpaper just floating around. If you took dirt and glued it on to paper, theres your ghetto sandpaper. When your bike is getting mud flinged at it, there goes the ghetto sand paper at work.

And my girlfriend says I'm obsessed with my bike 😢

Dude....after all that you should do the clutch cover....it will come up like a mirror....doesnt last long, but it looks killer when its done.

FYI - I usually shine everything on my bike once a year...but I use a bench grinder with a buff wheel and some metal polish. I get the silencer can to look like a mirror too....also the lower triples, kick start lever along with all the other stuff you pointed out....do all this, paint the frame, add new graphics & plastic and the bike looks better than brand new. I usually do major maintence in Feb...check valves, new chain, sprockets, new fork oil and service the shock, change engine oil, air filter, repack silencer, bleed brakes, new tires, grease or replace bearings and do any repairs that are needed.....then polish and add plastic and graphics....viola....bike is as good as new and looking great!