Sign in to follow this  

Newbie - XR250R vs TTR250

I would like some feedback here. I have bought two PW50's for my 6 year old grandsons. I want a bike to ride with them but also one I can go on my own. Lots of experience with street bikes but zero with dirt bikes.

I have found an 04 TTR250 and an 03 XR250R for sale and both look good. I would like to hear some reasons why you chose your XR250R vs the TTR250.

Doug Hines

Benton, AR

The TTR250 has an e-button, which can be nice. I have never seen a TTR250 at a race. I've heard complaints about the TTR225's durability. Not the motor, but holding up to abuse in general. Not sure about the TTR250.

The XR250 is lighter, has more aftermarket parts, and has more potential to grow as you get better.

If you do a search here for TTR250, you'll find lots of comments.

You can do the same with XR250 on the TTR250 forum.

I would go with the XR250... unless your right leg is really bad.

I own a ttr and a xr.

If you are off road riding go xr.

If you are street riding go ttr.

Xr has more low down power'''' TTr has faster top speed

xr is not street legal'''''ttr is

All the street legal crap just breaks off in the woods any way'''' but the e start is nice

They are both nice bikes I personally like the xr the the ttr is nice as well. I've found the xr is more of a low end bike while the ttr is a mid to high end bike. So it's really up to what type of riding you do and if you want that magic button which is nice but the xr starts just as easy with one kick if the bike is maintained well 😢

Think of the TTR250 as an XR with e-start. As playbikes, both are almost identical. The XR uses a little better grade of components. (i.e. forks/shock)

The XR has better potential and can be competitive as a racer in the lower ranks with the right mods.

I wouldn't be afraid of the TTR. 😢