Sign in to follow this  

2 or 4 stroke 250 or 450??

hey im moving up from my 2003 ktm sx 125 im 5'11" 14 yrs old 175lbs i dont know what to get a yz250 or a yz450f i have never ridden a 4 stroke before but i ride my dads RM250 a lot and like the power thanks 😢

DONT REV UR BIKE WHEN ITS COLD DAMMIT!

i know this is thumpertalk, but i personally would recommend the yz250 2-stroke for lower initial cost, lighter weight and cheaper maintenance. if you're mostly interested in racing mx, i think either bike will probably do well but you might see what is working for other guys in your area. each bike has strong points in certain types of terrain. conventional wisdom is that the better the traction, the better the 2-stroke works, but on slippery tracks (flat, loose corners and stuff) 4-strokes hook up a little better. i'm just regurgitating magazine slop there tho.

u seem to like ktms i think im gonna go for the yz450f cause cost dosnt matter to me cause all the ppl t tarcks r using em and i like not changing spark pulgs every moto i guess or mixing gasoline puls track conndition are not to tractionfull thanks for the advice and i love ur picture LOL!!

DONT REV UR ENGINE WHEN ITS COLD DAMMIT!

First of all, don't come to a 4 stroke forum and ask THEM if a 2 stroke is better than a 4 stroke 😢 If youre moving from your 125, then you're probably used to the 2 stroke power... so you'd probably adapt to the YZ250 a lot better/faster than a CRF450 (both good bikes though) I heard the 2005 YZ 250 was a kick @$$ bike 😢

u seem to like ktms i think im gonna go for the yz450f cause cost dosnt matter to me cause all the ppl t tarcks r using em and i like not changing spark pulgs every moto

i like ktm's because i race off-road (dez and enduro). for mx, my first choice would probably be a yz250 or maybe a 450f. i change spark plugs every year. not sure why you would want to change every moto, but maybe mx guys don't jet their bikes very well.

if the tracks you ride have low-traction, then i think the 450f is a wise choice. have fun with it.

mw

dude chang ur plug every ride and ur bike will have more power

plugs r only 6 bucks dont [@#$%&*!] about its really worth the money at a min every three rides

Part of the equasion is the local track. 250's are better for tight tracks. Or have you not noticed almost all of the top 250 riders use a 2-smoke for SX.

Next is your physical size and power. 450's are the biggest bike of your choosing.

Hmmm. If someone were buying me a bike, I'd go with a 2005 YZ250 (the lightest 250 class bike) or a YZ250F (probably the most reliable 125 class 4-stroke.)

Are you ready for the 250 class? Bubba spent a long time riding 125's. You can't get some riders to leave that class. Sometimes moving up too fast is not good.

Good advice...I'd say take a smaller step to a YZ250F, or if you insist on an open class bike, the YZ250. My '05 is almost perfect for me, can't really think of many ways it could be improved upon! (and I only recently converted from thumpers, having owned a CRF450 and 250).

Part of the equasion is the local track. 250's are better for tight tracks. Or have you not noticed almost all of the top 250 riders use a 2-smoke for SX.

Next is your physical size and power. 450's are the biggest bike of your choosing.

Hmmm. If someone were buying me a bike, I'd go with a 2005 YZ250 (the lightest 250 class bike) or a YZ250F (probably the most reliable 125 class 4-stroke.)

Are you ready for the 250 class? Bubba spent a long time riding 125's. You can't get some riders to leave that class. Sometimes moving up too fast is not good.