Sign in to follow this  

kayaba rear shock oil change?

How do you do this, I want to install a stronger spring and change the oil. What oil do you recomend? My bike is a 2003 kx250.

Well you have to be careful. It's best to have the proper tools to do it right. You must have nitrogen you can't use oxygen. Oxygen expands and you could end up with a burst bladder alot of cavitation and heat which causes excessive wear. Before you know it it's an expensive fix. Your best bet would be to find a local shop and have them do it. I am not saying it can't be done but you will save yourself alot of grief.

You can change the spring though. Just simply loosen the top pre load adjuster and turn the spring and bottom pre load ring until you can remove the bottom spring cup. Then slide the spring off and slide the new one on.

I couldn't disagree more. You can do it. I just did my showa shock and it was a little scary (I didn't want to mess anything up), but with patience and some time you can do it.

I followed these directions --> KYB and Showa Instructions and they worked great. Just make sure you follow the directions and on step 11 is says to skip to step 34 if you are just changing the oil. Don't want you tearing apart more then you need to.

Nitrogen -- My local shop recharged mine to 175lbs for $12.

One tip. You will need to use air to pump up the bladder a couple of times. I only had a hand pump (dang I need an air compressor), so it was pretty tough to get the hose hooked up to the valve to pump the bladder up. So if you know someone (or you are lucky enough to have one) with an air tank or compressor with a head that's tilted on a 45 degree angle it will be A LOT easier.

Otherwise it wasn't bad at all. I've done my forks a couple of times and thought it was pretty easy, and the shock is actually easier (besides my air problem).

Anyway, if you feel up to the task, you can do it.

I didn't say it was impossible. If he is confident he could do it he wouldn't be asking he would of done it already. It's not rocket science and just because you were able to do it doesn't mean he can. There are alot of people out there that just don't have mechanical know how. For all we know he could be getting out a hacksaw hammer and scissors to do the job right now lol.