Wheelie question ( just for fun)

How long can you hold your wheelies up? I have an XR 100 and I can pull it up in 3rd. What I really want to do is shift while im up on one but everytime I try, it comes down. Any ideas? The bikes sweet spot is deffinatly 2nd gear. I want to go from 2nd to 3rd and ride it out. I can hold 2nd for about 20 yards.

My friend can wheelie his daughters 50 all day... he can do one handers, stand up, etc... we pit for a dirt track team... and last year at the Springfield Mile he rode a wheelie around the entire track! People were loving it...

Me... I suck at wheelies... but I am getting better... 20-30 ft tops

You need to shift quickly w'o the clutch.

Like bang it up in 2nd then right away roll off and smack 3rd gear. If you use the clutch you will drop the front wheel. I go for the higher gear as soon as the bike is up and try to ride all the way through 3rd gear.

The big problem I have on my sons XR80 is that it rarely shifts under power w/o the clutch.

Does your xr100 shift w/o the clutch.

practice on a long hill.. seems to be easier to keep it on the back wheel on hills. keeping the rear brake in check is good advice too.

years ago I had a throttle cable break when I was on the back wheel in 4th (on pavement too) when it broke my hand slipped off and I lost it, that hurt.

Ive also found it easier to wheelie smaller bikes, (havnt tried 50s though)

When I was growing up I used to ride wheelies for as long as I had road. I have pictures of myself somewhere around here riding wheelies standing on the seat, 1 hand 1 foot, standing, etc. I had a conversation with my younger brother when he was here visiting a few months ago and he said I was probably the best he ever knew. I never really thought of myself like that, I just knew I had fun riding wheelies. I've been back working on it for the last 6 months and it's starting to come back. The secret is finding the balance point on the back tire where you are able to keep the throttle operation smooth rather than brap, brap, brap. Once you are there, shift up without using the clutch and throttle up enough to keep the balance point. I've shifted this way thousands of times on different bikes and it's not hurt one yet. When you are smooth on the throttle at float the gears just slide in smooth. Try this- take your bike out and ride it at a steady pace where your not really on the throttle and not really on decel. At that point in a smooth motion shift up. You'll feel what I'm talking about. Keep practicing. One day you'll just realize that you are riding wheelies and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. When it seems like you'll never figure it out, don't give up. Give yourself about 6 months to a year of daily practice to figure it out.