Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel spokes

What do I need to do to keep the rear wheel spokes from loosening up every ride? I tighten them prior to every ride and when I get back they are loose. I never had to mess with the spokes on my XR250 in the 15 years I had it. Is this caused by more power?

I have the same problem its such a pain in the ass, but yeah, unfortunatly i think its from all the torque the bike has.

All CR's and CRF's have been like this ever since they went to the aluminum nipples in 2002. I think it's the combination of the aluminum nipples and the flexy-junk stock rims. If you keep tightening them little by little each ride, they will eventually get to a point where they won't come loose nearly as much. I put excel rims on the 02 I had (with stock spokes/nipples) and they never loosened up.

I have the same problem. Actually, three of my spokes came loose on the last lap of a harescramble. I call the local dealer/stealer to see if they have any in stock. Nope, so I go in to order 3 of them and they say nope you must order them all at $2.50 a piece. I just walked out. My three replacement spokes arrived today from Service Honda.

Are there any reasons why adding threadlock would be a bad thing?

Thank you,

Zazoos

Right now, the boys at JM Racing (suspension place in houston) are drilling out my hub to put in Buchanon Oversize spokes. The Honda stock wheels are just crappy. Buchanon and Excel both make good spokes. If your spokes come loose every ride, its probably time to get that wheel relaced before you ruin a hub.

I build a bunch of wheels and what I do is drop motor oil down the spoke into the nipple and around the base of the nipple and let it sit for about 15min. What this dose is lubes the nipple because it is aluminum so it dose not bind up when you tighten them. Then you can get the wheel alittle tighter, most of the time if not all the wheel stays tight.