Sign in to follow this  

Picked up the DR-Z400.....very long trip (w/pics)

First off I want to thank those that helped me search for the right bike and once a model was decided on, those that helped me making sure it would fit. As can be seen by the pics below it fit fine. I opted to remove the front tire, and had a rubber mat under the forks. With the bike strapped in I only compressed the forks 1" to 1.5" and it was rock solid----no movement.

Now to start looking at add-on goodies. Case protectors, skid plate, etc.

Trip Stats:

Origin: Minneapolis

Destination: Maryland....one hour from Baltimore.

Total Mileage: >2200 miles

Left: Friday 6:20 PM CST

Arrived MD: Saturday 10:20 AM CST

Arrived back MNSP: Sunday 5:00 AM CST

Total trip time: 34 hours 40 minutes

Total drive time:32 hours 40 minutes

Single driver with a dog for company

DCP00451A.jpg

DCP00455A.jpg

DCP00456A.jpg

DCP00460A.jpg

DCP00453A.jpg

Is that a Dodge Grand Caravan you hauled it in? OMG. 😢 If so, I didn't think that it would fit or I thought that I'd wreck my forks if I tried to tie it down w/o the wheel. Were you able to lift it in yourself. That's an idea I may have to pursue given that I don't have a truck yet. Glad ya made the trip ok. 😢 Did the seat tie down mechanism work ok?

It is in a Chevy Venture. As far as hurting the forks, I had a thick ribber mat down....it is a rubber car mat meant for your feet. Truley I thought I was going to have to really crank on the straps and compress the forks down. Absolutely not so.....very little compression and the entire bike was rock stable. I did have it strapped down in the rear also (of the bike). And yep, the van seat holders in the floor could not have worked better. 😢

Awesome, glad you got it safely. I guess the measurements worked 😢. You'll love the bike, now break out the checkbook for the mods! 😢 You travel like I do, gas, eat and pee all at the same time!!! No other stops allowed! 😢 :cry:

Wow, that's 67.35 MPH average! 😢🤣

A bazooki in a mini van. oh my. Rip off that stock pipe I think im gonna puke. remove the back tail light and cut the two yellow tabs that mount it to the bottom of the fender. Pull off the front fender and replace with 98-02 RM 250 fender (bolts right on). Rip off the front headlight assy and replace with a 2004 RM 250 front number plate (need to make a couple of simple sheet metal brackets to mount), NOW IT LOOKS KINDA LIKE A DIRT BIKE. Now install a JD jet kit. E series exhaust(or one of the others) and ride away, best trail bike made for the money 😢

Great looking bike...now ride it!!!

Glad it fit..it's too bad you had to pull the wheel...but at least it's home now!

Congrats on the trip, but have you ridden it yet?

Ummm...no. I got to indulge on the trip and getting the bike this last weekend. Got home after being awake for almost 2 days (worked a full day before I left on the trip) and crashed. Yesterday was spent with the family who is being wonderfully supportive. 😢

In 30 minutes it comes out of the van and reassembled. Before I go on a ride (other than putzing) I will need to get ahold of a manual for fluid checks and replacement. Hell...with 56 miles is this bike even past the break in period? I have read the break-in link that Bronco has posted, but with 56 miles I believe this bike is past doing that method already.

That's quite a trip, did you steal it or something?

Let me just say that I have not seen this model close to here, and with only 56 miles and the price point this was sold at I wasn't complaining about the drive. In fact, I was happy with the drive. I LOVE road trips. The stress just drains from me after about 8 hours or so.

Trip Stats:

Origin: Minneapolis

Destination: Maryland....one hour from Baltimore.

Total Mileage: >2200 miles

Left: Friday 6:20 PM CST

Arrived MD: Saturday 10:20 AM CST

Arrived back MNSP: Sunday 5:00 AM CST

Total trip time: 34 hours 40 minutes

Total drive time:32 hours 40 minutes

Single driver with a dog for company

You REALLY wanted this bike huh? 😢

Congratulations on getting such a nice bike. Now you'll be permanently short of cash and covered in bruises but very happy! 😢

One of my track day riding friends carries his Aprilia RSV in his "people carrier" as we call them here:

ACFXRDCmbqn6.JPG

Cheers

Ian

How did you get it in the back? with ramps? It looks like it's on the stand in the van. Is that correct?

I'm amazed the 400 fit. I've got to give it a try.