ATTN All Iowa Riders

I dont know about you guys but I am sick of not having more areas to ride in I am sick of driving 2 hours to ride.. I just got off the phone with Dan Klein he is the President of the Iowa OHV and he told me there are other OHV's in the works right now Fort Dodge is on schedule as is another one in Marshall town among others I dont know about. He told me if 10% of the riders would join a local club that supports the OHV we would get parks all over Iowa that has been the problem with anything opening close to Des Moines it would go thru if we as riders showed and intrest.

There will be a meeting held at the King Buffet located at NW 86th street and Douglas Ave.on December 12th at 1 pm in Des Moines Iowa.. I realize some of you guys dont live in or close to Des Moines but you can still join something closer to your home to possibly get more areas closer in your neck of the woods.. So how about it Clint get everyone you know who rides and lets head out there to meet these guys and see what they are all about he did say it is a familiy event, So I will bring my brood.. And no Bill there will be no go go dancing billy goats sorry bro...

We have small groups in our area that have tried this, but it takes time and effort from groups of people to make these things happen. Land is not always available, in the range of a lot of people to agree upon. I know of two groups that said that they worked with the state of Iowa representatives, but the group had to be active for 2 years before the state would work with them on opening up land for riders. Most groups fade out long before the two years, because they don't have land to start working on. I have some riders from Omaha, Nebraska that would love to have something besides the sand trails near the river to ride in Iowa. We are 2+ hours away, and I doubt we would ever join anything in Des Moines, but if you can get more information for people in Southwest Iowa, please let me know and I will see what I can do. We have interested parties, it just keeping the interest up year round to keep the riding areas cleaned up.

The OHV isn't just about riding areas in/around Des Moines. They are there to help anywhere in the state a local club is activly pusuing riding areas. It does take ALOT of people at the local level to get something through. Bluff Creek took many years and volunteers to get where it is today. I grew up in southwest IA, so I know there wasn't much public riding, if any. But join a club and get involved.

I realize the OHV serves the entire state and I am game to travel anywhere to ride time permitting the only OHV I have not been to so far is Rathman I just feel with Des Moines being the capitol we should have something closer just like any other town in Iowa.. BTW I like River Valley OHV some cool trails if you dont watch out a tree will take ya clean off your bike.. Let me know sometime maybe we could meet up there.

CIYA

Where can I get email addresses for people in the state OHV that I can start working with? I have used the email addresses on the OHV website multiple times without any response. I would like to start something in my area.

We have a private group that have some land, but the costs are going up each year to join, and with the extra travel involved, it makes it difficult to get the whole family to go over for a weekend. I was able to ride there for a free will donation to help out the family of a rider who was killed by a deer while on one of his motorcycles. It is a nice place, but there are not trails or riding areas for beginners, so it won't work with a family with new riders.

web page

Try this link Dan Klein seems like a real nice guy I talked to him yesterday. He sparked some intrest in me to get things rolling being more pro active with the OHV.. You have to understand I have 6 in my familiy as well as other friends and families who might join in in my area.. Hopefully others will follow my lead..

Larry, I'm definitely interested in attending the meeting on 12/12.

Dan Klein is from my home town, so I know a little bit about him (he helped me replace my spark plugs in my motorcycle a long time ago....don't laugh, I was only 16 and clueless at the time). He is a very nice guy and from what I've heard, he has done numerous things for our sport in Iowa.

I still say, all of us pitch in and buy our own land!!

Have you seen that porperty off of Highway 92 right outside of Bevington from the highway you can see some outbuildings and the MX track but there is 40+ more acres back there with 2 streams I walked it a few weeks back it is awsome maybe worth looking into and my father in law has heavy equipment to make trail and tracks if I can trick him out of it last time I drove his bobcat I nailed his new truck with the bucket ( not my fault BTW)

125,000 grand it has 2 outbuildings looks like one of them was kinda a clubhouse, includes a tractor and all kinds of other equipment the place was real cool I am not sure if you can build on it they said something about it being on a flood plain although I drive by ll the time and it always seems dry to me

I was doing some searching on the internet for land, and I now I can't find the actual information, but I think the IOWA OHV will be getting a park ready to start in 2005, and it will be in northern Iowa. 1000's of acres of riding area, but I don't know if it will be ready for the TT event that this thread was actually started for. Just an option to think about.