Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Dirty enough?

I am very interested in purchasing a DRZ400 S. Here's my question. Is the bike dirt-oriented enough that you could ride it to a track, have fun, and then ride it home for an hour? Or is that not even done? ha. I live in Brooklyn, don't have a truck, and no room for a trailer. There is a track relatively near me, but I don't know that it's something you really want to ride a street legal bike on. Or maybe this isn't so uncommon?

Also on times when I might find a way to truck the bike further away, to a real spot (a couple hours), when I arrive, in your opinion, does a DRZ S tend to feel dirt-oriented enough to have a good time?

I'd truly appreciate any input. Thanks!

Bob

absolutely, even stock it does very well but with a few mods it absolutely rips, need to add the basic protection like rad guards and cfc case covers etc. You will also need to get rid of the stock tires for dirt riding and get a decent set of tires that are a little more all around. Deathwings are good on the pavement but in the dirt is where they got there name... 😢

Sounds like the DRZ is just the ticket for what you want to do. Dual Sport. 😢

Seeing street legal bike on a track isn't that uncommon. Of course IMO you should get it properly setup before doing that. Such as remove anything not needed, get a really small rear tail light etc. Definitely setup the suspension. When I go to a track I usually yank the mirror and tail light before I start riding. 😢

2 hours on the road is kind of a long ways on a DRZ. Makes you feel tired. At least it does that to me. Someone here once said he logged like 600 or 800 miles or something in one day. Thats insane.

I seen a guy at Glen Helen a few month back riding an S (with current tags...) on the track. Clearing gaps, attacking the track, flat hauling ass...

It would be hard work. I rode the DRZ for 2 hours each way a month or so ago and it was OK but I had the TrailWings on it at the time and 15/44 gearing.

Ideally, you'd have knobbies and 14/47 gearing and the bike will do 70mph but it's revving hard and even an hour is a long, long journey. I ride the bike 8 miles to work each day and find myself looking for back roads because the fast main roads are a chore.

Are there any motard tracks near you? A DRZ with 17" wheels would make a great city bike, would make the journey to the track easy and you could carry sprockets and swap them at the motard track.

Cheers

Ian

Can it be done? Yes. As fun as a MX bike on the track? No. The two hour commute? On knobbies? I don't know..

But look at it another way. Where do those dirt side roads go? How about a quick cut through the park? Any trails by the river? Fly off that loading dock? Hop a curb here, climb a set of stairs there. A DRZ has low end exploring power. A rear end that stays on the ground and hooks up! I would think the DRZ-S would be a great urban assault ride. 😢

wow this is great, such quick responses too. very cool. well you've definitely answered my questions. sounds good, let the spending begin, haha.

yes i had been thinking about setting it up as a motard bike, but wasn't sure how difficult it would be to switch back. seems it would be a blast as a bike in the city though.

wow this is great, such quick responses too. very cool. well you've definitely answered my questions. sounds good, let the spending begin, haha.

Basically I think we are saying that th DRZ will do this as well as any bike but anhour commute on a dirt bike on streets probably isnt that much fun. Where are you taking it to Jersey? I'm from Brooklyn and grew up riding dirt in Jersey

as far as where, i had been thinking about the englishtown track, but i've never ridden it. for the further away stuff i had been thinking of some of the parks i heard about in PA and NJ, i guess like this: http://www.njorvp.org, or http://www.trailpass.com/trail_modena.php

I grew up riding in MA so I don't really have any reference for what's rideable in this area. Finding out now, basically. i've seen some stuff when driving down the pike that looks, interesting. haha

Step 1. Get the bike.🤣

Step 2. Get the Motard stuff. 😢

Step 3. Get good dirt tires for the 18/21 wheels. 🤣

Step 4. Get CFC case guards. 😢

Step 5. Get proper riding gear, boots especially!

Step 6. Get BigDR risers and CR Hi bend bars if over 5'11".

Step 7. Get lots of Carbon Fiber goodies! 🤣

Step 8. Get Stainless Steel brake lines.🤣

Step 9. Get CRF rear master cylinder. 🤣

Step 10. Get permission to leave the dirt wheels at the track. 😢

Step 11. Get to the track without getting a ticket on the motard set-up🤣😢 and then switch to the dirt set-up (+/- 12 minutes🤣) and ride the track.

Step 12. Yes, this is a 12 step program....🤣, work lots of overtime when you can, 'cus your wallet is gonna need some lovin" 🤣

😢

nice, and it sounds like more fun than those other 12 steps. wallets going to take a hit for sure though, haha.

is anyone aware of big changes between the 04, and 05?

nice, and it sounds like more fun than those other 12 steps. wallets going to take a hit for sure though, haha.

HUGE changes between '04 and '05....stickers are totally different 😢 :cry:

Bold new graphics and a new model with 17 inch wheels already mounted. 😢

Can it be done? Yes. As fun as a MX bike on the track? No. The two hour commute? On knobbies? I don't know..

But look at it another way. Where do those dirt side roads go? How about a quick cut through the park? Any trails by the river? Fly off that loading dock? Hop a curb here, climb a set of stairs there. A DRZ has low end exploring power. A rear end that stays on the ground and hooks up! I would think the DRZ-S would be a great urban assault ride. 😢

two hour commute on knobbies, better have gel grips the vibration will numb your hand and wrists heavy padded gloves are a must. Can ride 2 hours straight any time any day rain or shine. P.S. rode to work today it was 26 degres when i left the house. 😢

thanks everyone for all the input, i am really looking forward to this. i'm going to start looking for bikes later this month.

anyone who can recommend a dealer in the NYC (or even tri-state) area, feel free to chime in. might as well go somewhere where they treat you decent. if not it's fine, i may be ruled just by who has something in stock.

thanks!

bob

I am sure I will be scolded on this site but, Have any of you done this? My nephew races bikes and he is looking for a bike so we take my street legal DRZ400E to the track. Problem it will beat you to death over jumps bottoms out and the bulbs keep shattering inside the turn signals. I love my drz in the woods but it totally sucks at the tracks here. Front end washes out too easy any it does not hook up in the rear, Tabletops are ok but any doubles Ouch!!!