Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X Maintenance???

Recommended Posts

I looking at getting my first dirt bike and have narrowed the field to a CRF250X. I'll be doing 99% trail and might venture on the track the other 1% of the time.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet though because of maintenance concerns. I want a bike I won't have to wrench on all the time or at all, so I'm now considering a XR250 or XR400.

Given I won't be racing and doing mostly trail riding, can anyone give me an idea of the amount of maintenance and expenses involved in keeping up a CRF250X???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very little, just like any other bike. change the oil. clean the air filter, checked the valves once and a while. put gas in it and ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No you dont need a topend rebuild. 2 stroke maybe. your adverage trail rider wont ride the bike hard enough or rev the crap out of it enough to change the top end. If you are just starting out this is a great bike for you. light, electric start, excellent frame and motor. I had a 2001 CR250 setup for trail riding. After riding my X I never wanted to ride my 2-smoke again...I sold it. go for the X you wont be disapointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say expect to do twice as much maintainance on any water cooled thumper than an XR. From what I've read on TT, its seems that the CRF's need more maintenance than others, but for a lot of people the pluses outweight that extra maintenance. I'd suggest you do some more research and maybe see if you can ride both bikes or any others you are considering.

Personally I don't mind having a higher maintenance bike if I have a spare. If its my only bike, I want one that is extremely dependable.

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a bike I won't have to wrench on all the time or at all, so I'm now considering a XR250 or XR400.

If this is what you're after then one of the XRs is what you want. Even if you get one of the reliable (read: no bad valves) Xs you do need to change the oil very frequently. And yes, a top-end is recommended once a year (depending on how much you ride during that year of course).

The X is a terrific motorcycle but it isn't a ride-it-and-put-it-away-until-next-ride machine like the XRs are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started riding motorcycles one year ago, and learned on an XR400, a very dependable tried & true machine. 8 months later I got a 250X and love it. Sold the XR cause I just never rode it anymore. With the 250X, more energy goes into riding the bike and having fun, and less time trying to kick start and man handle it. As a newbie I fell down alot (and still am a newbie).

I would usually dump the bike (XR) in pretty hectic areas of the trail, I was usually tired, and then had to clear out the flooded XR (sometimes a chore), and get her going again. Sometimes I didn't always have the luxury of having both feet on nice dry level ground to kick her over.

The E start and light weight of the 250X is awesome over the XR400. A little more attention to maintenance is worth it I think.

The XRs aren't maintenance free bikes. They still need the oil checked/changed, air filter cleaned, chained lubed, and all that. Valves are important on XRs too. The valves on the XRs are more easy to check/adjust though.

Either way you work.

The XR needs a little more energy to ride,

the 250X needs a little more energy to maintain.

Just my .02 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...