Sign in to follow this  

Some advice for newbie please

I'm about to buy a bike after about 10 years of not having one and I'm trying to decide between a KLX300 and DRZ400EK4 (but a CA model with the CV carb). My height is 5'7" (so a little short).

With the KLX I know I will need to get a DYnajet kit, fork valves and springs, grind the star shifter etc (standard mods). With the DRZ I will also need a carb kit, Ignition & clutch case protectors, and a gel seat would be a good idea (or cut the original foam). 😢 :cry:

And I realise both would benefit from a real card with a pump. It was to be a KLX no question because it's cheaper than a DRZ (with the FCR39 carb) $5,200 vs $6,000 (converted to $US), however a shipment of DRZ's with the CV carb came in andI can get one for $5,000.

Any advice would be greatly appricated, I intend to use it for trail riding, getting to back blocks for hunting, and although the boy is only 2 years he will need a bike soon and I want to be ready when he does (I also believe my daughter 8 needs one,but still negotiating with the wife). 😢

At 5' 7" it's a no brainer. The KLX300. The KLX400 (DRZ) is heavy and tall and will be a handfull for you in the technical or tight stuff. You'll have trouble getting a foot down. If you are really heavy and need the extra 100cc's, you should lower the suspension on the 400 and spring it to suit you. Welcome to TT.

Spoken like true bias.

Here is what I would consider. Open and Fast is definitely for the DRZ. Close and technical might give a novice an edge on the KLX300. If you want to take Jr. out...the S model drz is equiped for two riders (I do this now with my 6 year old and he thinks he is about ready for one of his own).

The DRZ has electric start...a big advantage if you tend to fall/stall much and get tired kicking.

I suggest you sit on both and consider how you will use it. 😢

Being a big guy...the size of the 300 was questionable too me. But the 400 looked really tall. Even felt that way at first. But after I rode it a while, I realized the height was not a big deal at all...as long as the balls of both feet can touch at the same time...you have enough leg length to dip if neccesary. If not there are techniques to lowing the ride height.

Dude. There is no bias in my answer. The guy in question is 5' 7". The drz/klx 400 is too tall for him in any sort of technical riding. He's just getting back into the sport. I said if he was heavy or needed the extra power, to lower the suspension on the drz. You obviously do not ride the type of technical trails we do. "Balls of your feet" will not make it here on close to a 300lb bike. Sorry for my "biASS-ed" reply. Seems you may just have a bias of your own. 😢

I wish I could touch the balls of my feet. I sat on a klx125 the other day at the shop and while I could get the balls of my feet down, that was pushing it. So tall is an important issue in a bike for me.

Also weight is important, I rode a drz400, kick start model, for a while. It's true it has the power for the more open stuff, but thats where it was hard for me to control. Maybe the extra rotational inertia of the wheels was adding to the weight and rotating mass in the engine, plus a bit higher center of gravity compared to the klx300. So it's hard for me to say the drz is best in the fast stuff, it had the motor for sure, but it was too hard to control, and it wasn't a handling issue, it was too big for me. The drz400 handles well and has great suspension, I liked both ends with no need to revalve. In the slow tight stuff I actually did quite well on the drz400, better than the fast stuff. It took more energy, but it was fun. But when it got steep or loose technical stuff, I wished I was on a klx300. For a bigger guy, or perhaps a more talented one, a drz400 is a nice bike. For me, I would choose the klx300.

You don't have to do a bunch of mods either. The mods you listed are fine, but you made them sound like they were a requirement. The drz400 is pretty good stock, the klx could use those mods a bit more, like opening the intake and exhaust a bit.

Hi,, I have both the DRZ400 and KLX300. Both are great bikes, just a little difference in purpose. I am 5'10", and the DRZ is tall, but handles well enought that it doesn't really hurt. If you are going to ride a DRZ in tight trails, you may need to gear it down, especially if its a S model. I like the S because it is easy to plate. The KLX is great the way it is. Sits just right for me, only a couple of mods are needed, dnyo jet kit and maybe a little suspenion work if you are a fast rider. I ride slow, so right now the stock suspension works ok for me. I think either can be a good choice. Hopefully you can find a little ride time on both to help you decision.

I just got my '05 KLX300R and it fits me perfect at 5'8" 175lbs. Though, I still can’t put the balls of my feet on the ground, but I do fine on my tip toes.

I not sure and Bill_P can correct me, but I don't believe you need to do the star shifter mod on the '05 or the ACR mod, just the intake, butt plug and Dynojet Kit.

I will also say that I haven't done anything to the suspension and I have had no problems with jumping or high speed bumps that everyone talks about. In fact, I find the suspension to be more forgiving when I put myself in situations beyond my abilities.

My two cents

Ted

thirtle;

Getting your suspension properly set up is like having sex for the first time. People can try to describe it, but you won't totally appreciate it until that first good ride.

We'll have to hook up some time out at Carnegie.....for the suspension ride 😢

Ride on

Brewster

Brewster,

I would love to hook up at Carnegie sometime to talk suspensions and uhhhh, only suspensions. 😢

Just kidding. Let me know when you are going and I will try to meet you there. I also have a lot of flexibility during the week

Ted 😢

Mate in NZ with the farking hills you have, get the smaller bike!!!!! I'm often glad I did every deadlift on every silly hillclimb........ 😢

Thanks for the advice, I am now the proud owner of a new KLX300 😢

I still have not run it in yet (building up brownie point with the wife), but looking forward to a blast this weekend.

Enjoy your new bike man! 😢 I'm sure that you won't be disappointed 😢 Between TT and Planet KLX, you'll be covered 😢

Congrats on the new klx!!! 😢😢 Make sure to do the planetklx free mods when you get the chance. It will yeild a much funner ride. Enjoy it!