Sign in to follow this  

Remove flywheel

I am trying to install a Zip Ty FWW on my 250F and was hoping that I wouldn't need to buy a flywheel puller. The flywheel doesn't want to come out and I was wondering, short of buying the fww puller, what have you all used instead? 😢

From a motorcycle shop, local hardware store or auto parts store?

bummer. well at least you can get one.

You need to make a wedge thing to get the nut on and off though.

use 2 pieces, 1" wide x 3/16" or so aluminum or steel bar stock about a foot long. At each end of each bar drill a 1/4" hole and them bolt them together at one end. But leave them loose enough so you can swivel them like scissors.

The other end you need to use 2 bolts to bolt the loose ends of the bars to the flywheel. I forget the bolt size, maybe somebody remembers so you can get a couple of them.

Then just rotate the crank CCW until the bars wedge up under the footpeg. Use a hefty breaker bar or an impact gun to loosen the nut then. Dont forget to torque the nut back on correctly. The flywheel is definitely something you dont want falling off.

I'll post a pic of what I made when ever the batteries for the camera charge back up. Here you go.

IMG_0032_1.jpg

IMG_0033_1.jpg

Excellent info and pics - thanks. I was able to get the nut off with no problem ... just couldn't get the flywheel to budge after the nut was off and there's not a long of room in there to work with. Thanks again. 😢

You don't need a holder if you have a pneumatic (that's air) impact driver. Comes right off. You can also use this to put it back on but to torque it you will need the holder.

I forget the bolt size, maybe somebody remembers so you can get a couple of them.

Couldn't access your pictures, but it sound as good as and much cheaper than buying the Yamaha "special holding tool" 😢 :cry: The bolt size is M6 x 1.0mm with a thread length of 32mm. Depending on what type of flywheel puller you get the correct bolts may come with it, in which case you can use two of them on the holding tool. If they don't you need to get three bolts for the puller in order to get the rotor off square to the crankshaft. When I put a FWW on my 400F I found out to my cost that the thread for the rotor nut it quite fragile, so don't let the rotor bash the thread too much when ot comes loose on the tapered section of the shaft.

Also when you chuck it all back together (don't forget the Woodruff Key) 😢 the main rotor nut needs to be torqued to 35ft.lb. 😢

Hope this helps

Mick 😢