Sign in to follow this  

Broken KTM?

I just bought a 2001 ktm 450 mxc that's street titled here in Florida. I bought it from a buddy back home and when it got shipped here I put the wheels on and started it up. The engine was making a loud ticking noise which worried me. My friend told me that KTM's are real loud and its normal. But I felt better taking it to a shop to have them look at it and the KTM mechanic said it didnt sound normal. So they tore the motor open and said that "the piston slapped both end bearings." I'm looking at $266 in parts already not including labor. I want to make sure that I'm not getting screwed over by the shop too. Would that make the engine knock real loud. I'm having them save the old parts so I can ship them to my friends shop and have them look at them. And one guy on the phone said that he thought the mechanic thought the top end was blown. Does anyone have any ideas of whats going on? My buddy wouldnt sell me a bunk bike and I really dont know enough about bikes to know if these guys at the shop are screwing me over?

ktms dont make any noisei have one and it works perfectally if u bought it used it deffinatlly needs a net top end if it was new ask the dealer

People I talked to called it the cement mixer for how loud the engine was. It knocked real bad. I'm just pissed, I bought this bike last week and haven't even got to ride it for a full day. And I'm facing a huge labor/parts bill. What the F. I'm gonna go abuse the R1.

I just moved to Florida from Maine and I'm good friends with this kid. There is no reason for me not to trust him. I grew up with him.

IF THE BIKE IS A 01 ITS A 400 NOT A 450 ,WHAT BEARINGS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ? THE 01'S HAD A PROBLEM WITH CAM BEARINGS GOING BAD, THEY ONLY COST $20.00.

GO TO KTMTALK AND DO A SEARCH ,YOU WILL HAVE LOT TO READ

Thanks for the input guys. The bike was bored out to a 450. The title I have says 450 mxc motorcycle