Sign in to follow this  

Off topic question on CR vs YZ

I know this is not the place but i could find no better. I'm in the market for a used two stroke and i'm torn between the CR and the YZ 125 vs the 250. Do any of you guys have an opinion on the 2001 models vs the 2002 models as those seem to be in my price range. I'm a pretty experienced trail rider on the four strokes and have been doing a lot more MX riding but not on the two strokes. I don't plan to race, just want something that is more suited to the track vs the trail. whats the biggest difference btween the two makes and do you think i would find the 125 lacking in power for when i do get more experienced on the track? I'm 6'1 and 180lbs if that makes any diffence. I would like to run a four stroke but they are too expencive and i hear they have valve problems. I know that the two stroke will need to be rebuilt but it's a lot easier than the four stroke to rebuild. any info would be appreciated. :confused:Thanks

Josh

If you get a 250 CR dont get anything newer than 01. They are really slow in 02+. Any Yamaha is good. I would steer clear of the 125's. Those wont have the power for you really. I know the new ones are all really fast but they didnt have as many 4-stroke 250f's to compete with back then.

Thanks for the speedy reply but when you mean slow, just how slow are you talking. It's still a 250. How about the difference in suspension and steering?

josh

The suspension and handling on the newer CR's is great, but the motor is less so. Absolutley NO bottom end at all. Get a late model YZ if you're 2 stroke bound, they have great motors and carve a mean turn. I've also heard good things about the RM 250's, which figures since their motor is a virtual clone of the YZ. But I'd certainly stay clear of the case-reed Honda's ('02-present)

01 CR250 has lots of power but stiff frame and suspension. Handles well though. YZ 250 motor is a little slower than the current offerings but still good. The suspension is also stiff but the frame isn't bad. Can't go wrong with either.

I wouldn't get a 125 unless you couldn't find a 250 in your price range.

The Rm's didn't have a similar engine to the YZ's until 03 or 04. The 01 Rm's were mostly midrange bikes...some say they are a lil more dificult to ride because of the peaky powerband.

Thanks for the info guys , please keep it coming.

another thought. I've seen alot of stock bikes and alot with aftermarket pieces. what would you think is the most important aftermarket piece to look for that is already on the bike and what would be some to watch out for? There are alot out there to choose from and i just want to make sure to get the right one. seems like an 01 cr250 might be the best bike as far as the motor and suspension?

Thanks

Josh :cry:

Dont rule out the 4 strokes! The valve issue is not as bad as you think. This board is about people helping others resolve problems, so expect to see major repairs being discussed. Most people dont have the problems, some do but not most. I say 250 or above. :cry: