Sign in to follow this  

Pipe wrinkle...

Noticed this Sunday - the head pipe has wrinkled on my 05. I have not had any serious wrecks. A couple stupid corner errors, but nothing that should have caused this. Any ideas? 😢

Looks like it is time for a Jemco...

pipe005.jpg

When the pipe is hot, they bend easy. I folded a pipe flat around my engine with my hip. It burned through my pants in a split second. It was not a fun crash and I could not beleive it crushed like that from my hip.

Mine looks almost the same. Did it when I laid the bike over in a sandy wash out in the desert a while back. Couldn't believe it, either. Supposedly they can be fixed fairly easily, or one of the FMS header pipes fits the stock muffler and is cheaper than the stock Honda. I'm waiting 'til mine gets a bit worse and I'll replace it.

mines bent is that exact same place. by the looks of the pic mine is actually a little bit worse but anyways ive rode it al summer and its been fine. i wouldnt worry unless you just need an excuse to get a new pipe

Mine was bent the exact same way. Replace it before you ride again. It causes more heat. As a result, it burned up my upper and lower gaskets. I rode it because i did not notice it after a crash. I rode for another 30 minutes.

After the bike cooled, coolant flooded my oil the next time I started it. Moral of the story, Get teh head pipe replaced. It's easier than taking the bike apart to replace gaskets. 😢

Did mine the same way in a ridiculously light lay over.I ordered one from Service Honda today for around $138.00. I figured since I had one coming anyway I could experiment with the bent one. I had some luck with a propane torch and some regular shop tools. I got almost all of the wrinkle out to the point I felt comfortable putting it back on. Judging by how easy they bend I am going to leave the old one on now till I really get it good before I put the new one on. If yours is in fact bent the same way mine was look at the motor mount bolt behind the cylinder and I think you will find it is rubbing or close to it. It probably has a dent there also where it went in and tagged the pipe in the wreck.Sorry for your problem but it helps not being the only one. Oh yeah I told the guy at Service Honda that they should keep a lot of them in stock. 😢

I tried the propane torch today and I was pretty happy with the result - it didn't bend like butter, but it definitely got hot enough to get most of the wrinkle out. Frankly I was suprised that the propane torch got it hot enough, but cheers to ya 😢