Sign in to follow this  

15 year old son ?

I'm getting my 15 year old a motorbike for his birthday and i got a few q's

1)does he have to be 16 year's old to get a licence ?

2)i got a few suggestion's

a) Vmax Is it too big ?

b)dirtbike's : do they work fine on asphalt roads ?

3) How many cc's is too much for a 15 year old ?

Thank's in advance . . . . SamanthA

You, ma'am.. Need to get that boy a Suzuki DRZ400 S model. He'll love you forever, and you can take it away from him when he's a hellion.

Transport to and from school, chicks dig dirtbikes, great commuter and play bike! 😢 And will be much less expensive than a cruiser. 😢😢 .. and nowhere near as gay either. 😢

The vmax is way way too big for a first bike. It's capable of an 11 second quarter mile with speeds around 130. Top speed is around 150 and I guarantee you it will only take him two days to run it up there.

If you want him to end up dead or seriously hurt by his next birthday, get the vmax for him...

I'll agree that if your intent is something that he can run on the street as well as the dirt, there is no better choice than the DRZ400. If you just want to get him a toy to play with in the dirt only, and he's never ridden before, I'm going to say a Yamaha wr250F.

Depending on local regulations, you may even be able to get the wr250f street legal with a few minor mods and about $500.

Oh and by the way, congrats on being a cool parent. 😢

The only problem with the DRZ is the seat height unless you're fairly tall in the inseam.

As a father I think buying a fifteen year old a motorcycle is most likley going to be seriously fatal mistake. I would start the kid off on a non-street legal dirtbike and plenty of saftey gear.

I'm getting my 15 year old a motorbike for his birthday and i got a few q's

1)does he have to be 16 year's old to get a licence ?

2)i got a few suggestion's

a) Vmax Is it too big ?

b)dirtbike's : do they work fine on asphalt roads ?

3) How many cc's is too much for a 15 year old ?

Thank's in advance . . . . SamanthA

Samantha, I am really hoping that you are not seriously considering this, but just in case you are I would highly encourage you to rethink this.

Firstly, you need to check with your local department of Motor vehicles to find out the age requirements, but it should be the same as getting your drivers license (16 in most states if not all).

Secondly, roughly 60% of all newly licensed operators (cars) are involved in an accident in their first year! Putting a newly licensed person on a motorcycle is asking for an early funeral in my opinion and I would highly encourage you to reconsider this.

No, no, no, no, no! NOT a Vmax!!!!! 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:🤣

Unless you're trying to get rid of him! 😢

They're missiles - 150mph straight line drag bikes with no cornering ability.

Here in the UK you're limited by law to a 50cc, 30mph scooter at 16, a 125cc bike at 17 and you have to pass a bike test to go beyond that and ride a 33bhp limited bike for 2 years. These restrictions exist because the police got fed up of scraping children off the scenery and informing loved ones.

A 125cc two stroke dirt bike like a Yamaha DT125 would be my first choice and a DRZ after a year or two.

Ian

Don't forget thje nitrous system for the V-Max.

Junior will need that.

buy him a nw yamaha r1, u wont have a son the day after his birthday....i suguest getting a reality check and go look at bikes at a dealer........ 😢

In most states, your son will be required to pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner Ridercourse before he can apply for the motorcycle license. They provide the bikes and helmets (check the helmet part, though), and the riders don't need a license or insurance.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

The class is a good intro to safe riding, and they talk about the different kinds of streetbikes that you can get -- Cruisers, Standards and Sportbikes. The class bikes are generally small standards.

Once he passes the test and gets the feel for riding a streetbike, then you can look into what bike or bikes would make the most sense for him. I had several years of dirtbiking experience before I turned 15 1/2 and got my street license. My first dual sport was a Suzuki 90, and it worked fine for commuting to high school (in the country) and for weekend play in the dirt. That was many years ago, though, and I don't know what the entry-level dual sports are like now. Maybe a DRZ250?

Above all, your son needs some good mentoring as he starts riding. You can't just turn him loose and hope he will be okay. Do you have some friends that you trust who ride the street and dirt? Your son should do a bunch of riding with them as he learns what to watch out for on the street (including himself 😢)

I hope things go well, and that he stays safe. You're a good mom for wanting to get him the streetbike, but be smart and careful about it all, okay? -Mike- 😢

umm this was confusing but okay

1)he's been dirtbiking with some of his pal's for about 2 year's now and they all have bike's so i really want to get him something fascinating

2)ya i changed my mind about the vmax i even heard it's an official police bike in lot's of country's

that's all thank's a lot

Having recently (I'm 18, started driving at 15) learned to drive, I'll give you my thoughts.

I think a streetbike, ANY streetbike is a bad thing to learn traffic laws with. In a car, you can be with him and teach him how to drive, grab the wheel, or whatever is necessary.

I'd give it at least a year and a half of driving a car befor any streetbike. THEN, I'd go with something like an XR250, or CRF230. He can ride it in the dirt or the street just fine, and it doesnt have enough power to do anything really stupid with. Really depends on his skill level. What bikes has he been riding? This really matters. If he's been riding 250 two strokes or the like, then he can probably handle a DRZ400. If he's been riding XR100's and CRF150's, he needs something just a little bigger, but not much.

y not buy him a car 1st......or truck then he can haul a dirtbike around in it........i got a new fzr600 in 97 i was only 15 i think but then again i road dirtbikes since age 6 so it was no thing... 😢

I think you need to actually go to a dealer and look around, you don't really seem to know what you want, theres nothing bad about that, but you should learn some more before deciding what to do.

Don't get a powerful streetbike, and do NOT put his being cool above his staying alive.

The Vmax is would be too powerful for a first bike.

I am 15, and as a realistic commuter bike, I would go with a street legal KTM (they can be dualsported I believe) or if he wants something more sporty a revvy NSR400 should be awesome. Your kids gonna love you forever after this 😢 :cry:

Don't get a powerful streetbike, and do NOT put his being cool above his staying alive.

That is the most intelligent thing i've ever seen you type! 😢

Actually some mags have gotten 10s out of stock vmaxs, way too much bike for a kid. get him a DR200 or a yamaha XT225.

I agree, these are both great dual-sport bikes. 😢