Sign in to follow this  

2002 Gas Gas 400 as a dual sport??

Need some opinions on the Gas Gas 400.

I am looking to switch to a dual sport but I want alot of "dirt" performance,not street.

How does the Gas Gas compare to the DRZ S ???

What is the actual weight of the bike compared to the DRZ S??

If I remember correctly from a Dirt Bike 400cc comparison it pretty much weighed the same as a DRZ E which is pretty heavy,though a good 20lbs lighter than the S .I had a DRZ E for 2 years.

The bike I am going to look at is said to have low hours on it and is in great shape.I will have to add blinkers and that's about it.He says it's registerable for the street but I'll have to check that out before I buy.

The bike when new was over $10000 😢 and he wants $6000.

If the bike is used as little as he says it seems that it would be a great dual sport,light weight,hydraulic clutch,6 speed tranny,quality components etc.

😢 :cry:

I realize that no matter what it will not feel as light and flickable as my CRF and I have to sacrifice some performance in the dirt but am hoping it works much better than the DRZ.

Any opinions appreciated!!

I don't think there is a 2002 400 Gas Gas. Maybe I'm wrong. The 03 and 04 Gas Gas 450 wieghs the same as the DRZ-E but about 45 lbs less than the DRZ-S (street legal). The 05 is supposed to be 248 dry which is 15 pounds less than the DRZ-E.

Gas Gas has 50cc more, fuel Injection, Hydro clutch, aluminum silencer, better bars, chain, rims and suspension. The DRZ is about $800 cheaper. All you have to do with the Gas Gas is add handgaurds and a skidplate. The 05 even comes with a carbon fiber skid plate.

We have a member in our local club that has a GG400, not sure on the year, but it's a nice bike for sure. If memory serves, it's only a kick start. The only problems I have seen with them are bad base gaskets from time to time.

For lots of info, go to smackovermotorsports.