Sign in to follow this  

Rear axle Problems

My rear axle keeps comming loose.I tighten it up before I race my first moto.It is clean and I put locktight red on it.When I come back from my moto the nut is loose and can be taken off by just your bare hand.Is there any company that makes a new rear axle and more importantly a castle nut for the rear axle?I know met-tec makes titanium rear axles but I dont want to spend $200 for a rear axle and nut.Any suggestions?

just so we have the facts straight...

you have a 250F.

you put loctite RED on the rear axle threads.

you torque the rear axle nut to 90 ft-lbs [125 N-M] with a proper torque wrench.

AND IT COMES LOOSE? &%$#@!.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps

does anyone have their rear axle off of the bike right now?

if so, could you measure the overall length as best you can? (to two decimal places would be nice)

i'm wondering if the problem is that the axle is fatigued and it is simply stretching. pretty soon, SNAP!

wow i never had a prop like that with my 04 250f and i never had the nut come lose on my bike. are you sure the threads are ok on the axle and nut.

The rear axel can be measured while it is on the bike since it is a hollow tube. It doese not sound like the axel is stretched, since 90 ft lb is the normal torque. More than likely it is not tightened or the threads are stripped. He has given insufficent information to try and make even a educated guess.

Wrooster, thats a good idea that the axle could be stretching.

Maybe you could paint the rear axle and slip it on. Next time you pull it out, look for stretch marks on the paint when you pull it off. That is of course, if no one tells you the current legnth...

-Phill

I am tightening the rear axle to the correct torque setting.My first axle I had worked fine and then all of a sudden it started doing what this one is doing.So I bought a new one thinking it would take care of it and now this axle is doing the same thing.I will try to measure it tomorrow.Anyways is there a stronger aftermarket axle that isnt Ti?

maybe your axle is somehow seizing with the sleeve and bearings and rotating loose ? try cleaning and lubing everything. or a bent sleeve might also do this? 😢

I am tightening the rear axle to the correct torque setting.My first axle I had worked fine and then all of a sudden it started doing what this one is doing.So I bought a new one thinking it would take care of it and now this axle is doing the same thing.I will try to measure it tomorrow.Anyways is there a stronger aftermarket axle that isnt Ti?

Got me stumped. I have no idea what could make it loose then. Is your torque wrench calibrated correctly? Is there oil on the face of the bolt?

Ah ha! Maybe your washer is squshing down, causing the bolt to come loose. Check that.

-Phill

maybe your axle is somehow seizing with the sleeve and bearings and rotating loose ?

This is not possible if it is installed correctly in the axle blocks as the recesses on the drive side will not allow the axle to rotate. If is seized, so would the wheel.

Do you clean all the grease off the threads before putting the bolt on? Even when carefull, pushing the axle through the wheel will usually push at least a little grease out the other side. I always clean my threads with contact cleaner and allow to air dry before putting on the nut.

You may also check that your wheel spacers are correct and in spec. If not they may be allowing the swing arm to "compress" after tightening. If you are using aftermarket spaces make sure they are for the correct year and for the 250F and not a 2-stroke. There are shims on the inside of the swingarm on the "F" that are not present on older 2-strokes which requires a different spacer.

Hey, I have been having the same problem with my 03' 250f and it has super low hours. I bought the bike from a short old dude who didn't know how to ride it. I first noticed the problem after a few rides when I was cleaning the axle blocks. The nut was still snug but the wheel slid back on the kickstarter side. I just tightened it up as usual without a torque wrench as I have always done and it came loose again. I now use a torque wrench and it hasn't came loose yet but I have only ridden a couple of times. What exactly happened to your wheel spacer?