Sign in to follow this  

XR200 Fork oil level

Could someone please tell me what the recomended fork oil level is for a XR200. 1988 if it matters. I was told in another post but just realized it was for the 250. Anyone know if it would be the same on a 200?

This is what I was told for the xr250....

Minimum 165mm (6.5 in)

Standard 135mm (5.3 in)

Maximum 125mm (4.9 in)

Forks compressed fully, springs removed.

THanks you

Nileator, Here it is from the Honda manual:

Minimum 170mm (6.7 in)

Standard 150mm (5.9 in)

Maximum 140mm (5.5 in)

Try as you like but your forks will still suck! You could probably fill them to top with water and wait till the seals blow by and not notice any difference.

I have tried all sorts of volumes and weight oils and it seem pointless. At least you have the longer travel pre 92 and later set up. I had to convert my '95.

I have been following the threads for XR200 fork swap / conversions and have pretty much decided to go that route instead of spending the bucks on aftermarket springs and emulators.

As far as air pressure goes, I use the air valves on my forks to "bleed off" any pressure that builds while riding which seems to work best.

The Honda manual reccomends 0 PSI fork air pressure in there spec and rebuild proceedure, however in their troubleshooting guide under Soft Suspension, it list "possible incorrect fork air pressure" 😢. Huh, go figure?

Good luck....Karl

Thank your for the info Karl.

It's my wifes bike and she doesn't ride enough to justify the swap. I ride it every now and then, but again, not enough to care. We just picked this bike up this summer really cheap. The seals were blown on it, so I figured I'd use it as my first try at fixing fork seals. It went really well, not too hard.

I filled it to just around 5.5in and they seem fine. Much better than they were with hardly any oil in them before I fixed the seals.

Thanks again for the info.

Nile 😢