Sign in to follow this  

New exhaust gasket

Someone suggested that every time I remove my exhaust ( I have an 04 crf450 ), I need to replace the Gasket( or washer ) in the exhaust port where the header goes into the head. They said this is to prevent leaks. Is this true, will reusing it lead to a leak.

I am about to put on a new exhaust system and would like to use the old one due to the fact that the bike has only 4 rides on it and I don't want to have to wait to order one.

What are your thoughts?

I doesn't matter if you never road it. Once the seal is crushed, it's done. I will say this, I changed pipes a couple times and had no problems. Then on the third time it started leaking. You will know it's leaking if when you let off the throttle it starts popping. Do not ride it like that because you burn up a valve or 2. It will be better if you just get a new one, but you may be able to re-use the old one. If it pops, stop riding it. 😢

If you never tighten the hell out of the header bolts, just snug them up, you should be able to re-use your copper gasket several times. In between, I'd order 3 or 4 from Service Honda just to have on hand. That's what I did. 😢

The gasket is a hollow copper tube. It is designed to crush down when you put the pipe on. It will never seal as good as a new one if you reuse it. For the few dollars a new one costs I would not chance an air leak.