Sign in to follow this  

400S .vs 400E When I know I'm going to dual sport it.

I've had a cruiser and a street bike so I figure I'll try a DP bike for a while and see how it goes.

I'll be using the bike for commuting, 20 miles each way, back roads, 1-2 times a week, I realize this won't be the best option, but I figure down the road 2-3 years, I'll get a better option for commuting that may be able to be used for long trips. And the DRZ will be for trips to the woods or desert.

From what I've been reading the DRZ400 seems to fit my needs best and is said to be pretty durable and reliable so it comes down to S .vs E

E 300 cheaper since I can find a new 04 model, I'd have to add +500 for Trick DS kit, and ~200 for tires I can ride on the street. Being in Idaho licensing shouldn't be an issue.

S 300 more than E, tires would work for street but from what I've heard aren't that great, and it has all signal stuff granted I think it looks horrid on the bike and would change it at some point in the future.

So it's S and I could ride it as is, or in a few months when its warmer, and in the future I'm gonna upgrade the tires and lights, or E and know I'm gonna spend 600 or so to get it legal but it could make it a winter project to be ready for spring.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Josh

I'd get the S. It's close enough to the performace of the E, but it's already got all DOT stuff and all you really need to do then is change out the tires for better off road performance.

I bought an 04 s model with the full yosh exh. and 3x3 then 145 jet. I have done very little off road as of yet,There are reasons other than the bike for that. But on the road it is very nice to ride susp is soft and it handles well. For off road you can change the fork oil and jack up the settings for a stiffer better ofroad ride,there are plenty of not to old posts about this topic. The lights can be trimmed down for minimall $$ acebris makes a cool tail light and such or you can go by singles LED stuff cheap. But on the down side is the carb and the some of the other higher dollar are already on the E model. So many ways to go and only one life time to ride them all. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted 😢 :cry:

I have a 2000 DRZ 400E that has the Baha kit. The kit cost about $300 and has everything you need for street conversion except tires. The E model has more power right out of the box than the S. I have had very good results with Kenda tires and I ride a lot of single track trails in Colorado. The Kendas are inexpensive and hookup good off road and are street legal. The E model comes with a much better carburator than the S and the exhaust header is larger. The stock gearing on the E is 14/48 and the S is 15/44 so anything above 55 mph on the E is pretty buzzy. A 15 tooth can be put on the E to help, but is still not the same as the S for comfort at 60. I have put a 16 tooth on mine which took some cutting and a touch of grinding to get on, but this gives it the same ratio as the S, but is really geared to high then for off road.

If you get the S model you can ride it the day you get it and you will find that some insurance companys won't insure the E model. Dairyland is one of those companys and their rates are half of what Progressive's are

The choice is yours, if your are going to ride more street than off road then get the S, if not then get the E.

Good luck

The E carb is only good if you ride the same elevation all the time, where I ride the altitude can vary from 5000 feet up past 11,000 feet. A CV carb responds alot better with the altitude changes, plus the fact that the S model has a cooling fan...I would rather get the S model since as Bronco78 pointed out..most of the parts that separate them will get swapped anyhow..and then you are left witht he conveniences of the S model 😢

If you didn't want to do any mods or work on the bike I'd say the S. But it sounds like you're gonna mess around some with whichever one you get so I'd say the E. You can dualsport it the way you want instead of undoing and redoing the S. And the performance is enough different to be worthwhile.

In Idaho? Given that info, the need for a full DS kit isn't necessary. All that is needed on the E model there to plate it is a brake light, mirror, and horn. The laws there are nice and easy, similar to here. You don't even have to run DOT tires! I bought the E model, simply because of these reasons, and it's performance level was higher than the S out of the box. Though you don't need to change the tires right away on the E, I'd change them to the 606's simply because they handle better on the road. I never liked the stock 756's on the road (lots of head-shake).

If I lived in a big city, I'd have bought the S for convenience, but within a year, I would have turned it into an E with a DS kit.

I hope with my limited knowledge, I've also been able to help with your decision. I grew up in Jerome, ID, farmin'.

I sure miss it, being in AZ.

Good luck!

Hey CC this is a question I find many of us ask ourselves before buying. I had the same dilema and I too live in Idaho (Boise area). I also plan on ridding mine to work a couple times a week and found that I was better off with the E mostly because I also plan on really taking it off-road a lot. Like has been mentioned the laws here are really lax and so it takes very little to make the E street legal. In fact you can make anything with a title street legal here in Idaho (aint that sweet)!!