Sign in to follow this  

Gearing on CRF250X

I know the stock sprocket set up on the X is 13/49. Has anyone changed their set up (i.e. 12 front), etc? If so, what are you running and do you like it?

Thanks,

Erik

Stock gearing on a X is actually 14/53. I am running a 13/51 and sometimes swap out for 13/50 depending on terrain.

Stock is 14/53....but I did see one come through with 13/53 out of the crate.

I find the stock gearing a little off. First is so low it's almost useless...second is good..but it's a jump to third and the motor has a hard time pulling it.

So I'm trying to figure whether to gear up or down.

Final Drive #520 T-ring chain; 13T/49T right from the Honda website, the manual and what my bike came with. Where are you guys getting your #s?

The Honda website has a few "mistakes" on it....

You've checked your sprockets?

My bike came with 14/53..like all but 1 bike that I have seen. My bike also came with a 739 front tire...every other one I've seen has a 742.

Maybe Honda is just going with the Maico/KTM way of production: "throw whatever is on the shelf on the bike and ship it!"

You got me confused. My X came stock with 14/53. Perhaps the R is 13/49?????

I went down to a 13 on the front before a trip to Moab last spring and I have never changed back. At first I thought it was too low, but now I like it. I ride a lot of tight and technical trails and I am not one for speed, so the lower gearing works great for me.

Swapped out the 14. Now use 13/53. Great for technical riding. Much better for hill climbs.

The other issue of 13/49. The ratio is very close to the 14/53. it is 3.769 vs. 3.785.

Where can I get a 53 steel(or SS) rear sprocket? I looked on rockymountainmc.com & dennis kirk and no listing.

Do a Google search for Renthal or TAG or MOOSe sprockets and you will get lots of options.