Sign in to follow this  

ASSISTANCE FOR A NEW RIDER....

HEY GUYS, WAY OFF THE NORMAL QUESTION, BEING A 450 FORUM, AND ALL. HAVE A NEIGHBOR JUST BACK FROM IRAQ, RETURNED HOME WOUNDED, THAT NEEDS SOME HELP. HIS UNCLE GAVE HIM AN OLD KAWASAKI '82 KZ-TWIN CARBS. I HAVE SOME BASIC KNOWLEDGE FROM MY PAST MX, BUT CAN'T GET NAY IDEAS ON THIS.

TURN THE FUEL ON, AND TRY TO START, WITHIN 25 SECONDS-GAS STARTS SPILLING OUT OF THE AIR FILTERS, AND THE CYLINER JUST GETS FLOODED WITH FUEL. I'M TRYING TO HELP HIM OUT, BUT REALLY DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO START. NOT QUITE A 450 QUESTION, BUT WOULD BE NICE TO GET BACK WITH HIM, WITH SOME DIRECTION.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED.

Floats are sticking in the carbs would be my guess. It's not unusual for a bike that has sat for a while to have the gas in the float bowl turn to varnish and cause the floats to stick and jets to plug. He needs to yank the carbs off and go through them completely. Clean all the jets, passageways and check the diaphrams as they are probably dry roughted. Chances are if he cleans the carbs and synch's them up, he may have a running bike...

Tell your neighbor thanks for his sacrifices in doing an unpleasant task...

sounds like the carb floats are stuck or out of adjustment. if it has been sitting for a long time the carbs are probally all gunked up. clean/rebuild them and see if that corrects the problem

pk i guess you type faster than i do 😢

Also your floats could be bad they get small holes in they and wont float.New floats should be around 20 dollars only bad part is they will be special order im sure.

Chances are if he cleans the carbs and synch's them up, he may have a running bike...

Also, get a shop manual for the bike, and use that to help you with the carb teardown, cleaning and assembly. Even with the shop manual, I once messed up assembling my old VFR's carbs after a cleaning, and I got the float springs in upside down. That caused exactly the symptoms you're describing -- acted just like a stuck float and the fuel pump squirted fuel back out of the carb bowls.

Tell your buddy thanks for his service. 😢 :cry: 😢