Sign in to follow this  

42 Hours on stock engine, Am I due for a top end, valves?

😢 My bike runs great, starts in 3 or 4 kicks cold, receives regular oil changes and filter cleaning, but it has 42 hours on it and I think it may need some freshing up, but I have no signs (burning oil, low compression, lack of power...) that indicate anything needs done.

Please share with me your maintenance schedule or recommendations for what you would 'freshen up' for your 450 with 42 hours (track 20%, trail 80%)Your opinion is appreciated.

Check your valves and go from there. I'm of the mindset that if you change your airfilter after each ride, change the oil and oil filter on a regular basis and your bike isn't constantly bouncing off the rev limiter, you should be able to see closer to 150-200 hours before doing a rebuild. 42 hours you should be fine, unless your looking for a winter project for the long Michigan winter...

82 hours on my 03' and because the tranny went I am redoing the top end. Valves are fine and inspect. Piston and bore looks great, but I got a rebuild kit when I purchased the bike and might as well freshen it up for another 80 hours.

My 02 had over 200 hours on it when I took it down ,one intake a little tight I went with the 04 piston and new oem intake valves and new springs and guide seals and keepers,that was december of 03,so almost a year ago and the piston would have made another year it looked good.

Thanks guys. I suppose I just needed some support. Heck the thing is killer fast and running great, but the manual suggests changing the top end at 15 hours or something like that! Here I am at 40+. I thought maybe I just couldn't remember how strong it was fresh.

I've said it before, and I tell everyone I talk to about motorcycles, my crf450 is the best bike I've ever owned. I just want to be sure I care for my baby. I appreciate your comments...

Ride Hard, Have fun...

the manual suggests changing the top end at 15 hours or something like that! Here I am at 40+. I thought maybe I just couldn't remember how strong it was fresh.

Well every honda mechanic i've spoken to says that the 15 hours is only under race conditions. that's 15 hours of absolutely riding the bike at the edge of your limits. It depends on how you ride. Things seem to last longer if you don't constantly bang the bike off the rev limiter though...