Sign in to follow this  

What is a Hare and Hound race?

Can someone please tell what it is, how long it is, and what are some tips you can give me about racing one. Its on new years weekend in some woods by a local motocross track. Thanks for any help.

Its a race where they release a rabbit then a dog and then you must follow that dog, so race lenght all depends on how long the hare can run! 😢

It usually means everyone starts at the same time, dead engine start. The guy winning the race is the 'hare' and everyone else are the hounds.

In general its 2 large loops of, say 30-40 miles each.

Usually Hare and Hounds are faster courses, less technical than say a Hare Scrambles, or a European Scrambles, etc.

H and H's are the most popular form of desert racing, and the rush of 100's of guys lined up -- and the silence of everyone waiting for the banner to drop--is one hell of a rush. It still puts butterfly's in my stomach every time i am lined up...after 30 years of racing Hare and Hounds!

There are many classes in the race and unless you are one of the top 5 you really dont know how you did until the results are posted.

Hare and Hounds are great..but the one big draw back is the dust that so many riders can make in the beginning...it can slow to a crawl just from the dust, allowing the front guys to make much better time.

The secret is to have a well practiced 'bomb run' worked out--that is the first 1/4 - 2 miles of run from the super wide starting line to the start of the marked course--usually this first little area is legal to practice on--but the rest ofo the course is not---it helps a lot to be very good at getting your bike started fast!