extreme down hill's

those all look good ,but i stumbled on a technique on a very steep hill (that has since been closed)its about 100 yds long and was so steep that the rocks were passing me as as i was descending well anyway,by locking up the back brake until the ass end was in a controlled slide i turned the front wheel as to keep on the line and by working the back brake on/off to stay in this controlled slide i found that the front brake was way easier to deal with. it was kinda a balancing act but i went back to do it again just to see if it was a fluke,and it worked even better the second time ? now this hill was damn near straight up and down and i really don't think you could go down it any other way! ?

i've got mine set so close to idle that i really have to be in too tall of a gear for it to freewheel,even then usally just downshifting kicks it back in. i'm running 5 tc balls so the engagement is faster and lower,almost too fast i had to switch to the heavy spring in my perch adjuster to avoid potential drivetrain damage! ?

I have my Z-start adjusted for more slip and just use my brakes more. I use my front brake mostly to stop, just don't stop the front wheel. Keep it turning, but control the speed. rear is on and off, if the back starts to slide around I let off it.

Mountain bikes don't have engine braking and I've seem some guys do some pretty gnarly hills that I would never try on a mountain bike.

My YZ450 idles at 1800, and the Z-start goes to freewheel at 2500 rpm. If I keep it above that I still have engine braking. A quick blip of the throttle turns it back on, and too much rear will send it back to free wheel. Thus I've really started using the front brake much more than on my KTM or any other non-Zstart bike.

Here's a pic of a hill out at Chappie that I thought was steep almost 10 years ago. My buddy in the pic goes down in 2nd or 3rd on the gas on his KX500.

erik_1.jpg

I don't think you can get to this hill any more, the mining company blocked off the road. It actually a lot steeper than it looks, see how the tree get small fast. Those are actually pretty big trees. The hill feels like it goes on forever, when you get to the top you got a pretty good view of Shasta Lake, Shasta Dam, and Castle Craig. I had a 35mm cam back then, so I didn't take many pics.

The guy in the pic on that day drove his Toyota 4x4 up and then back down the hill. He was carring spare gas. Probably don't want to run out of gas out there.

Cheers,