Sign in to follow this  

Wrists hurt

I started riding MX this year and I noticed that when jumping doubles or bigger jumps my wrists start to hurt while riding. Anyone else have this problem? 😢

yea, try breaking them and come back to let us know how they feel. thats a real treat. Just try to aviod the harsh landings and be smooth.

one more thing, the position in your wrist affects that too. Keep them in the natural riding position (kinda hard to explain, just straight with your forearms, maybe slightly bent, with your elbows up)

downside every hit perfectly, i used to get fatigued but i just kept riding, the power of youth! if big jumps are hurting you, chances are you arent landing them right or your suspension is wayyy to soft.

I started riding MX this year and I noticed that when jumping doubles or bigger jumps my wrists start to hurt while riding. Anyone else have this problem? 😢

Keep your elbows up and grab the throttle more like you're turning a doorknob... plus, practice standing on the pegs, WITHOUT grabbing with your legs, and shift your weight back & forward while accelerating/declerating, barely holding onto the bars... this is a good practice drill for balance control... I'm willing to bet you've got the 'death grip' on the bars 'cause you're just starting out!

Another tip to try, when jumping, consciously loosen your hands... it'll show you how tight you're really grabbing on, and you don't need to!

😢

Your handlebars are in the wrong position for your body type. Move them up or down or try a different bend.

sic

Man, does that help you? See how helpful this board is. I wish people in the real world were as helpful & nice as the people here are.

Always fun to dream. 😢

Keep it Down 😢

04 YZ250F $700 upgrades. Waiting on suspension & air tank to come back from tootechracing.com Can't wait... 😢

I agree with the concensus here. I have had the same problem and sometimes still do with my heads up my rear. Moving my bars around helped a ton and paying very close attention to my grip helped and allowed me to do 15 straight laps last wweek with out getting tired, cept my left wrist got tired from using the clutch too much on the 426, that was all my fault, not sure why i was doin that but it seemed right at the time, heh. oh well

good luck 😢

😢 Most likly it's because you're using your upper body (arms) too much to absorb the landing. Try taking more of the impact with your legs and as you land move your body so your arms can be mroe relaxed. This should help a lot. 😢

I appreciate all the input from everyone and your are right, I am absorbing the impact with my arms. I noticed my shoulders hurting at the end of the day. Now solving the problem is not going to be as easy. I am 6' 4" and I try to stand as much as possible. When I stand on the bike I am a little hunched over so there is some weight on my arms I can't avoid. I will be changing my handlebars soon to see if it helps but for now I will try putting my weight on my legs.

Going through life I was glad to be 6'4". Now that I am riding I wish I was 5'4". 😢

someone correct me if i am wrong here but wont having higher bars help with some of these issues? like causing one to stand up more on the bike, causing elbows to be up, and stand up a little more straight rather than being in like a squat position?

basically my bars were bought for a short guy (the guy i bought the 426 from is like 5' 4" or something). and he still kicks the bike on his own with no help from anyone or thing 😢

I started riding 2 months ago and at first I couldn't last 1-2 laps around a very simple track. My arms were so tired. My right wrist would hurt every time I land from any jump. I was always gripping the handlebars too tight. So, I started doing circle drills around a flat track. I kept reminding myself to relax my grip. Also, I started standing up and moving my body more. I started to grip the bike with my legs. People at the track probably thought this is stupid since I was riding around in circles. I saw the results last weekend. I was able to ride 10 laps in a MX track and I wasn't even tired at the end. The landing from the jumps doesn't hurt as much. I try to absorb the impact on my legs instead of my arms. I still have a long way to go.

Im in the same boat. I'm at the point now where I almost always have sore wrists/hands after the first 2 heats or so, after that i kinda get warmed up and in a groove and it goes away. I'm trying to eliminate it all together now. I'm always trying to think about it on the track. on the straights, jumps corners, etc, how hard i am gripping, when i dont need to grip etc. It really does work. the first 2 heats or so I need to think more about it, or do something different to get warmed up.

I have the same exact problem. Mine comes a little later. Latly I have been doing practice moto's with friends. After my 2nd moto my wrists are spent. I'll try repositioning my bars. Could having tweaked bars/twisted forks affect your wrists?

yes they could affect your wrists. Also dont forget to mess with the levers. you may just need to readjust them to your liking.

when your messing with this stuff, in particular the bars and levers, get on your bike on your crate or whatever you have holding it up 😢 and move your body in a rowing motion. Basically just as though you where riding, standing up, knee's bent, move your body around and see what you think of it. you should know almost instantly if you dont like the position, of the bars/levers. and can adjust them from there.

After that, go ride it and see how it acts then, and probly just make minor adjustments after that

I have a feeling that the majority of this is mental. Most level/bar adjustment won't make a HUGE difference. You'll definatly go faster with the proprely set up bars, but your soreness is probably coming from something you're doing with your body.

Like the others suggested, losen your self up and try not to death grip the bars. Like every other "i'm struggling with xxx riding technique" practice practice practice. Being comfortable with the track and bike helps you learn when and when not to death grip. Not to insult you, but your toughness level may also be a factor. I don't know how much riding you've done, but it does take time for the bones and muscle in your armors/hands/writs to build up a "toughness" to abuse. keep riding =)

I have too disagree with you on that. 😢

Handbar setup makes a big difference. I had my bars too far in when I bought the bike 2 months ago and rode it that way for a month before a thought about moving the handlebars forward to a move confortable position. It made a big difference...

For example... Did you ever ride a friends bicycle when you were younger and thought. Boy, it's hard to ride with the handlebars in that position. Well, same is true on your bike. Some like the bars more forward and some like them more straight up and down.

Get the bike set up to suit you! 😢

Keep it Down 😢

04 YZ250F Almost tricked out!