Sign in to follow this  

Hydraulic clutch

Have any of you guys tried the Magura hydraulic clutch set up from Summers Racing Components? Just looking for opinions(good or bad)on it. I want to try one, in theory it should make the XR440's clutch real buttery. 😢

I have used one from SRC for the last two years on my 400, makes the clutch pull a lot smoother and easier.Switch to the braided line, less prone to melting. The slave cylinder comes real close to the exhaust pipe, you will need to bend the cable holder to make sure it does not touch. I also used an exhaust wrap to protect the slave cylinder from overheating.I know of a couple of riders who have had problems with heat . I have had no overheating or any other problems with the hydraulic clutch in two years of racing,dualsporting and trail riding.

It was definitely worth the effort for the smooth and easy clutch pull

What kind of problems are being encountered with heat?Where did you get the braided line? I think it comes with a polyurethane line.

Rocky Mtn Atv, Dennis Kirk,even on ebay, anyone who sells the magura clutch should carry the braided line.They run about $50 The heat has caused several of the slave cylinders to leak or cook the mineral oil. With the header wrap you could ride all day and still hold your finger on the slave cylinder.

I check the fluid after a couple of races, bleed the system about once a year. Fluid stays in good shape with the heat insulation.

I recently bought a used magura clutch for my xr4 and i didnt get a mounting bracket for it. Did you guys use your stock bracket or did it come with a new one that moves the slave cylinder closer to the clutch arm? I tried to order a bracket, but was told that it doesnt need one and they only include the bracket on the kits for the tr400ex quad. Any info would be a huge help...or better yet, can someone take a pic of the mounted slave cylinder and email or post it?

phrakingeek @ gmail.com

thanks

The slave cylinder slides into the bracket that holds your clutch cable and the wire extending from it engages the clutch actuation arm with no modification. I insulated the poly hydraulic line all the way from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder and have had no problems at all with this product. I give this mod a solid 10 for creature comfort. Truly a one finger operation. 🙂

The one i bought and installed on my cr250 was flawless...dropped right in and just worked right out of the box. worked so well that i wanted one for my xr as well.

i can see that it should just replace the old cable setup...but it doesnt reach...it's at least an inch short. can you measure the lenght of the connecting rod and tell me how long it should be? maybe the replacement cylinder i recieved was for a different bike.

I can measure when I get home but as I recall you have to use a wrench on the actuation arm to rotate it around a little to get the connecting rod engaged. It is self adjusting as I recall.

Or if you need the info right now you could call Summers Racing Components at 800-221-9752 and ask them the measurement. They are real nice helpful folks over there. 🙂