Sign in to follow this  

05 Air Filters..be careful

one of my sponsers called me...and told me he has has 2 "05" air filters start to split on the inner side of the filter...i checked mine out and it was fine...maybe it was the cleaner they were using...not sure...but check yours out...it's right at the seam..i tossed mine just to be sure and am using a aftermarket filter...

Yep, I noticed the same thing. Mine started to split on the inside, where the side foam meets the top foam. In all fairness to Honda, though, I used gasoline to clean the factory oil off, which is not recommended. It may not have split had I not soaked it in gas for 1/2 hour! I ordered a couple ready filters to try out.

What after market filter did you happen to use?

I am thinking of buying the White Bros no-screen anti-flammable one but would like to hear performance specs on it first. Is it worth the hundred bucks?

Thanks for the info!

Dune,

$100 for an airfilter element? Yeesh. I assume that includes a cage? Save your dinero. Pop the backfire scream from the stock cage , put in a Twin Air Backfire filter, and let it rip.

Dune,

$100 for an airfilter element? Yeesh. I assume that includes a cage? Save your dinero. Pop the backfire scream from the stock cage , put in a Twin Air Backfire filter, and let it rip.

Yes, go with this. It's the only good fix. 😢

Thanks fellas.

I found the no-backfire element for $36.00 on the Twinair website. Thanks for saving me sixty five bones!

the problem isn't the filter or what u used 2 clean it. the culprit is the stock cage itself. the edges of the cage that mate w/ the filter r rather sharp and sliced 2 of my filters(1 stock + 1 twin air) after only a few rides. this problem has been echoed by many other ppl on this site, and i wasn't so sure till i watched it unfold b4 my very eyes. spring for the twin-air power flow kit w/ the cage and u'll b glad u did.

Hmmm...thats weird. I didn't find any slices or sharpt edges on mine. Just where the inner foam is glued together, came apart. I guess I'll need to check the cage closer before I install the Ready filter.

Yes I have sliced 3 twin airs on my 05 only noticed when I went to clean them. I will opt for the aftermarket cage. I assume this is only happening to people who have removed the screen?

I just purchased the pro seal gasket hoping that would help some.

Any one tried filing the sharp edges down?