2fiftyx

Motion Sickness?

Okay, I can't be the only one. I'm getting motion sickness while riding trails. The more turns, the worse it gets. Sucks. Start off feeling great and having fun. Twenty to thrirty minutes later I feel like puking. Kinda like getting off the roller coaster and having to sit for a while. I do get car sickness if I'm not driving (on curvy roads). Just recently got back into dirtbiking and discovered this problem.

I was going to try Dramamine. Has anybody found something that works while riding? Thanks.

Yikes! Don't take any motion sickness meds as they tend to make you drowsy or react a little slower.

Just some thoughts:

1) Do you have sinus problems? Inner ear problems? That could be part of the problem.

2) Are you new to riding and perhaps a little anxious still? or even holding your breath maybe? If so, then maybe time on the bike will help the problem- just go slower/less windy until you get comfortable/adjust.

If none of the above than you may want to see Doc to find out if you do have an inner ear problem that you were unaware of.

there are two more helps for motion sickness. One is a patch that adhers behind your ear. Much less drug effect than pills. Also there is a band that some people put on their wrist that is similar to accu-pressure. Some of my friends have used this with success.

I am very prone to motion sickness due to over sensitive inner ear mechanisms. I too have experienced problems on my bike. try focusing only on the trail about 10-20 meters ahead of you. Fine focus your vision there and not on the passing landscape. This will help reduce the vertigo, and make you faster and steadier on you scoot, too!

Sounds like you have inner ear troubles which can be tied to poor eyesight. Make sure you have your eyes fixed to 20/20 and your equilibrium checked.

As was mentioned -- do not take meds while riding. If you find you must take something I good trick I found from when I spent weeks on end on a sailboat is to chew on a whole clove. As in the spice clove. this helps settle the stomach and it does not interfere with your judgement.

It does taste bad. but way better than pucking your brains out. Usually at that point you are willing to do anything to get rid of the nausea. you'lll find yourself eating cloves like candy :cry:

I have inner ear problems and that sometimes happens to me. You might want to get a check up by an MD.

Any of you motion sickness sufferers find a suitable solution?

I too am afflicted with this: I can ride strong for 45-60 minutes, but then suffer from nausea. When I stop, it fades, but then comes back on strong when I resume. I keep pretty hydrated, have good vision (20/20), and don't suffer from any other known ailments.

Anybody find any solution that works for them? Dramamine? Wrist bands? Patches behind ears?

I have used the wristbands with great success. When I first started riding again, it was bad, I started wearing the wristband and sucking on ginger candy. It worked great.

I don’t know what has changed but I no longer need either and the motion sickness is gone

This same motion sickness thing started happening to me this past year (2019) for the first time in my life.  Consistently, about 1 - 2 hrs after running single track pretty hard, it starts setting in.  Real, bummer since it makes the rest of the ride no fun..  more just concentrating on not puking.  I tried eliminating some things I was suspicious of (get more sleep, don't drink alcohol the night before, good breakfast, better cardio and weight training, etc..)  no improvement with any of those.  talked to the family doctor during my annual physical..  he looked in my ears, but had nothing to offer.. just "maybe time to stop riding".  BS!

So this spring, i'll try the ginger, wristband, … and if that fails  - Dramamine.  I'll share results in the spring. hopefully to help others address the issue sooner.  it sucks bigtime!