2005 KX250F - questions for the heavier riders

This is my first post. Like to say hi to all and what a great site. Im thinking of getting an 05 KX250F and was wondering if anyone out there in my weight range could give me their opinion on this bike. Im 6'1" and weigh about 220lbs. Im a VET A rider with about 16 years of racing. Believe it or not I have never ridden a 250F of any type. I was thinking of getting one and maybe putting a big bore kit on it or even modifing it a little. (exhaust,motor work, etc) I just sold my 450, just could get comfy on it. The weight bothered me and I was having a hard time getting through corners like I should. I really want a 250F but im worried about me too big and underpowered. Any comments, good or bad would be great. thanks in advance

My son is a 6'4" and 240 (or so)teenager. He rides an '04 KXF in the junior class. I thought I'd have to ride it and he would be riding my 450. NOT SO! I can just barely get him to ride my 450. He does give up some off the start, but once he's moving the bike is good. My son is just a part time rider so I think that is one of the reasons that he loves thew KXF. We set the bike up for his size, put heavier fork and clutch springs in it. You will love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a vet racer (if you call what I do racing) and I rode the 250f at the beginning of this year, and then at the end. In between I had surgery on the shoulder. Anyway, I am 6 feet 215 to 220, and I love it. I have ridden a few of the larger, national style tracks and I give a little away to the 450's but the bike is faster in the corners. As for the starts, well a 450 and prob at 250 2 stroke can get you off the gate if you are slow. But what I have found is that my reaction time seems to be quicker, or maybe just maybe I can get the lighter bike going quicker. Also the 250 is great for vet racing on a smaller track. I ride sone small tracks, and the bike is a joy to ride there.

thanks again for the comments. Im still leaning towards a 250F with a big bore kit. looking at a 302 or 315 RPM kit. I love being a VET rider, I can choose what to ride, just hated my 450. I love my 2 strokes but looking for something a little easier to ride. Im hoping the 250F will be some in between. thanks again

I know I'm in the wrong forum, but I thought I would jump in on this thread anyways ? . I ride a YZ250F and with my equipment I weigh in around 200-210lbs. The bike has no performance (wait...don't acerbis rally-guards add 5hp??) or suspension mods. I don't ride MX, just trails, and this bike is about perfect for me and my type of riding.

cheers

mike ?

• 5 months later...

I'm 180 and my kxf 250 is great for mid and bottom punch(compered to other 250f's). lately Ive been having to run it like a 125 though cause I need all that it has at certain times. If I could get the power more even over a broader range of rpm but still only around 35 hp I'd be happy. maybe the 315 kit would be ideal??

im 6'1 about 215 and i love the bike. It is my first bike though. I like it better than the crf's by far. the rmz has much more bottom end. The only thing i need is heavier fork and shock springs. other than that its gravy.