Riding Alone

If i had to reach for it, i wouldnt want to be grasping at a zipper with gloves on. But i might get one of those for other things. Really like that. Better than a phanny pack. Anyways most of the spray canister manufacturers have their own holsters. I would probably wear mine on my belt at the side, opposite my leatherman tool.

The bear thing is actually quite comical.  The anti's want you to save a bear (USFS and a lot of park rangers).  Did the bear spray company warn you the spray can actually attract more bears because of the chili smell from the capsicum?  You have to look at the area you ride, in AZ you can run across large bears, but they are hard to find.  In AK there are big bears, and there are quite a few more big bears than even small bears in AZ.  Here I carry a 1911, effective on coyotes and the bears (not 4 legged coyotes either).  If I were in AK, I would ride with my 454 Casull, a ton of thump, and this 45 bullet wouldnt bounce off.  Oh, the pepper spray, I would have it too, but back at camp to help warm up dinner a bit.

Back to the OPs question, preventive maintenance is your best tool.  If you keep up on maintenance, and fix things before they break, you have a lot less to worry about.  As far as what I normally carry, on my 4 stroke is my phone and my leatherman and some water in my camelback.  For the 2 stroke I carry the same plus one spark plug and the cheap, compact spark plug socket/ screwdriver tool just in case I do something wrong riding and foul a plug.  Let someone know where you are going and about when yuou will be back, and if there is service where you ride, try to check in with them sometimes.  Especially if they are at work, send pics of where you are, it really fires some people up.  

Oh, I forgot, a 1911 on me and a can of bear spray in the truck to spice up lunch.  :ride:

• Like 2

It's a two smoke thing^... Prob the bear issue to begin with. The bears think the two strokes are bees and want that honey!

It does really want the honey, but it'll settle for chowing on the slower 4 stroke riders that it can actually catch. 

?

My 2 stroke has a resistor plug and the plug (resistor) has gone bad by flooding and shorting the plug, could have just gone bad, but I carry a new one ready to go when I ride alone just as a precaution.  

It does really want the honey, but it'll settle for chowing on the slower 4 stroke riders that it can actually catch.

?

whoa whoa! I believe about the same time we spot a bear is the same time Me and the 450 show everybody what a real dust cloud looks like ✌️ Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

Whatever... Pretty sure most 300 riders are out looking for bears to chase.  I know I want to jump a brownie, put it's skull in my mouth and see if i can get it to play dead.  Maybe maul it a little.

That's the real reason I rode alone.

• Like 3

You guys think I'm joking, but that how us Aussies roll.

Here's an Aussie chick that was out surfing solo and a shark dropped in on her wave.  Well that shark got a beat down.  Here it is playing dead on the beach in hopes that the human will loose interest and go back to surfing.

shark.jpg

• Like 1

Were I to take that approach, I'd wait 1-2 days for help.

1. I'd probably be 25-50 mi off a main highway.

2. a. Half day for response to occur.

b. 1-4 hrs of travel...trailhead

c. Unknown hours riding to my

location.

d. Extraction

There's no way I'm relying on anyone to rescue me, if I could've, should've had my tool bag. What If I'm injured? I have ridden with bone bruising, bones broken. Unless I'm totally incapacitated...I'm gettin' out...one way or another. If I get killed...I'll be dead, therefore I won't care. I enjoy riding alone. Sorry if reads like a rant...not meant to be.

That's right! I will never depend on other people to come and save me.

• Like 1

You guys think I'm joking, but that how us Aussies roll.

Here's an Aussie chick that was out surfing solo and a shark dropped in on her wave. Well that shark got a beat down. Here it is playing dead on the beach in hopes that the human will loose interest and go back to surfing.

Now the shark is pissed, its hoping to get the fishy smell out!

if I'm alone I'm slower than normal, and I don't ride beyond my skill set. sometimes I find this more enjoyable, but it doesn't happen very often. most of my riding buddies get pissed if they aren't invited.

Definitely get a Spot Tracker, it is the way to go for us solo riders.  The biggest danger is getting hurt in the middle of no-where and no-one knowing where we are, not mechanical failures.  And always carry a comfortable pair of shoes in your pack in case you have to hike out.  MC boots are not built for hiking!

• 1 year later...